Let's Play a Game (6)

"Mr. Ranch, Maxynn hit me again! Do something! Punish her!"

"I did not hit you! Stop lying for once in your life, Aveline!"

Zach smirked over at me, but I ignored him as I fought back the urge to strangle Aveline. I had already hurt her enough; if I did anything else, I would be suspended or expelled for sure. I just had to control my anger and everything should have been fine... for the most part.

“Maxynn, Aveline,” Mr. Ranch sighed before the bell could ring and let us all go for the weekend, “I need to talk to you two for a bit after class ends.”

I nodded at our teacher, and Aveline would have scrunched up her face if her nose brace wasn’t stopping her. The bell then rang, and everyone hurried out of the room so they could start their weekend. Aveline and I, however, made our way to Mr. Ranch’s desk.

“You two are still going to be partners for the project,” he informed us immediately, and I let out a reluctant sigh. “I noticed that you two bicker and fight a lot when you two are together, but I think that this would be a good learning experience for the two of you. Maybe you two could become friends if you work together.”

“Not likely,” Aveline snapped, pointing at her nose.

Mr. Ranch rolled his eyes. “Either way, you two are still partners.”

"You’re kidding me, right?”

I rolled my eyes at Aveline, almost laughing when I looked over at her ridiculous nose brace. It had turned out that I really did break her nose, and every time I looked at her face, I just wanted to burst out laughing.

“No, I’m not kidding you, Aveline,” Mr. Ranch informed her flatly. “You’ll continue working with Maxynn on this project. You two are still partners.”

“But she tried to kill me!” Aveline shouted, and I crossed my arms over my chest when I rolled my eyes at her again. “She punched me in the face! Who knows what she could have done if there weren’t other people around! You know what she did to her mother!”

“I didn’t hurt my mother,” I growled, taking a step toward her, which caused her to jump away from me and shield herself with her arms. I scoffed, turning away from her and back towards Mr. Ranch.

“Aveline, if you just stop commenting about her mother, Maxynn would be less likely to hit you,” Mr. Ranch informed her matter-of-factly now, and I had to bite down on my lip to stop myself from snickering. “You’re really just asking for it.”

Aveline gaped at our teacher, and all I could do was smile. She definitely deserved that broken nose…

Mr. Ranch now waved the two of us away. “You two can go home now. That was all I needed to talk to the two of you about. Have a nice weekend.”

It was kind of impossible for me to have a nice weekend, considering the fact that the next day was my mother’s funeral… That was definitely something I wasn’t looking forward to…

“Don’t think that just because we’re being forced to work together means that I’m going to start being nice to you,” Aveline warned once the classroom door was shut behind us so Mr. Ranch wouldn’t hear. “I know you killed your mother, and there’s nothing you can say that’ll make me think any differently. Murderers deny killing people all the time.”

I wondered if I punched her in the nose again if it would hurt even more than it did the first time. Only one way to find out…

Before I could even lift my fist, Aveline had already spun around and had darted off down the hall. I knew that there was no way I could have stopped her, so I only rolled my eyes before turning the other way and starting off toward the front doors of the school so I could leave as well.