Twenty-two: The arrogant squirrel

AMARYLLIS' POV:

When I once again awoke, the world was spinning. I could only distinguish many figures—great and small—surrounding my half-dead body.

Soon, my vision returned and I stood up. Realising the change in my body immediately, I looked down. What once was my school uniform had now turned to a rather nature-inspired outfit. Ignoring that for the most part, I looked around somewhat shocked.

There were many different creatures around the clearing, all bowing their heads respectfully in my direction. I even spotted mythical creatures such as the Dragons, Phoenixes, Unicorns, Pegasi, Griffins and even a Thunderbird. 

I was surprised. Why were they all here and bowing down their heads as if to royalty? From what I am aware of, mythical creatures are the most arrogant of all and barely respect the fairies let alone any other lower race.

Then I felt it—the fluttering of wings on my back. Oh... I had forgotten about that.

Apparently, I'm a fairy now.

And yes, secretly, I am dying on the inside.

But this respect was not one that fairies are given by the natural deities of this land. There even saw a Dryad bowing to me.

Suddenly, a young and crisp voice rang out. My eyes were immediately drawn to the brown-haired red-eyed child.

"Mistress, you have awoken! This servant has been waiting for your appearance for a million years and is pleased to be in your acquaintance once again! The world is sure to be prosperous with your Grace's return, the creatures that can come onto land have all come to greet you." Her words confused me. Mistress? What one million years? And why is the world going to be prosperous?

The silent of the two tiny fairies—and yes, the translucent glittery wings on their back gave it away—quietly condemned her sister, reminding (?) her that I would have lost my memory.

I paused. "Okay, could someone please explain what is happening? And why are all the mystic beasts here?"

The previously silent fairy nodded and started to speak

"Well you see Mistress, your birth is a very crucial part of this world's development and the happiness of the creature. Through the million years since your last rebirth, the creatures of the land have suffered endlessly. Humans realised that the deity that used to protect the animals and the natural order of the world has passed.

This resulted in them overtaking the world and enslaving all creatures big or small. The only ones who have so far not done this disgusting thing have been the fairies who allow all creatures to live peacefully inside their kingdom. But now with your rebirth Mistress, the natural order may be restored and happiness brought to the creatures." 

As her speech finished, I was about to frown. It was irking that they had been treated in this manner, by fellow humans nonetheless. Enslaved into becoming a human's pet must have been a terrible experience.

Poor things.

Soon, the more boisterous of the twins spoke. "Mistress, to express their goodwill towards you—the protector—the mystic beasts have prepared gifts to signify your relationship with them."

Gifts? They wish to give me gifts? Even regardless of presents, I would still help them...

But I just nodded. One must adapt to any situation thrown at them.

Soon, the large and firey Phoenix stepped forward. One of the babies moved shyly, gently perching on my shoulder and managing to put a necklace on me.