XII - Lesser Jinni and Greater Cats

The next day Iatus felt sore. Very sore. However when Ava woke him he found that he could walk about without too much discomfort. He looked down at his side and there was nothing but a thin line across his side where the cut had been, it still sent a shot of pain through him when he twisted however. He gingerly put on his clothes and made his way out of his rooms. He met Max by the stairs and they went off to class together.

Tribune Scipio was lounging in his chair when they arrived and took their places.

"Right today we will just be going over the summoning spell; you can't do anything until you actually manage to summon something. The three of you who have already managed to do it, your task is to go to the library and look up a jinni you will summon in your next practical class, take care with this, if you choose well you should have it all your life. Look for accomplished demons if you can, and make sure they are LESSER jinni, you don't know your limits yet and the paperwork we have to do if you die is extraordinary."

Iatus gave a quick look at Max, shrugged and moved out of the door with Amber and Capitus. They made their way down to the library in silence, Amber walked between the two boys, oblivious to the tension between the two. They got into the library and Iatus and Capitus split off to opposite ends. Iatus headed for some scrolls on famous magi and summoners from the past, Ava went to the lists of jinni and Capitus went for the demons that didn't fit into any particular category. Iatus picked up a book about early Egyptian sorcerers and was about to start looking for any jinni he could summon when Aelith gave a little hoot. Iatus put his book down and went over to him. The book he was gesturing at was about early roman mages, dating back to Romulus himself. Iatus Picked it up and started to flick through, he came to a page entitled 'The assassination of Nero Claudius' and Aelith made a little gesture in the direction of last paragraph.

The culprit was finally arrested two weeks later, Cassius Julius Carbo. His jinni, Nerres, that was thought to have actually committed the crime, was never found. Julius Carbo was sentenced to death for treason; however he escaped the city and was never seen again. He escaped the clutches of no less than three senate shedu and a mara summoned by Gaius Claudius, the deceased's brother. His demon Nerres was suspected again. Julius Carbo will go down in history, as well and his demon Nerres, as one of the greatest examples of subterfuge and deception ever to take place within Rome's walls.

Iatus was impressed, but he frowned at Iatus, "Nerres has to be a greater jinni, surely."

Aelith gave a little hop and led him off to the jinni section. There were lists of jinni going on for a whole row of shelves, all arranged alphabetically. He found N then Ne then Ner then Nerr, these books went on for ever, then Nerre, finally he picked up the correct book and flicked to Nerres.

The writing was spidery but easily legible: Nerres; Power Classification: Jinni, Lesser; Category: Nightcrawler; Affiliation: Dark; Notes: Being of the dark affiliation this demon is a rare and powerful find. The demon expresses fanatical loyalty and powers of deception and trickery unrivalled in a lesser jinni.

Iatus looked impressed, he gave Iatus a nod, the bird just rolled its eyes and flew back onto his shoulder. Iatus was about to leave, content with his choice when a thought struck him. He smiled to himself and then headed off to the Shedu row.

A, Ae, Ael, Aeli, there it is Aelit. Now Aeliter, Aelitas... Aelith, here he was. When he saw what he was doing Aelith gave a hoot of protest and ruffled his feathers. Iatus gave a little chuckle and brushed him off his shoulder. The bird flapped down and landed on a little reading table, he looked like he was sulking but it was difficult to tell on bird features. Iatus found the entry, walked over to the reading table and sat down.