Chapter 12: So...Now What?

Indeed. So...now what? There were no monsters, the "collection" as the spriggan Kitri called it was over and there wasn't a single remnant of the battle from only an hour ago. It was a clean, beautiful forest devoid of monsters and noise. Not even normal animals, like squirrels or wolves, were out right now. I heard no birds chirping, nor did I feel any wind. It was like I was in a mental hospital during lock down or something.

After a while of sitting and waiting impatiently, I could tell two hours had passed since Kitri left and the first sign of life appeared in the form of a coach. I could hear the unmistakable rattling of the wheels and jostling of it's top part about a mile away and coming closer.

I was immediately alarmed because this was a deep part of the forest, not anywhere near the path. Who would come out of their way on this exact day we just happened to be stranded out here? No one. Only that irritating thing called trouble.

I looked at Thérèse's stats and saw that they were only half way full. Her condition was only sleep now, and "to cure" said nothing. So, she was just wasting the time I had been worrying about, making me think we would be attacked or something. I raised a little fist and grabbed her hair, yanking it as hard as possible from under its small bonnet in the shape of a crown. She moaned but didn't react much.

The spotlight's dimming, you know. Your combat and maid skills are topnotch, but I'm starting to be curious about you as a person.

I could see the carriage now, a red and blue one with four horses guiding it. They were half a mile away.

I really didn't want to deal with anything troublesome, like how a maid and her young mistress were in the middle of the forest, extremely bloody. Truly, I didn't want to.

Looks like we would have to though, because the moment we were in the carriage's sight, it came to a stop abruptly because the man driving noticed us. The horses stopped and started stomping around from the speed they had been told to lose, neighing and shaking their heads like they just wanted to be home already.

A voice came from inside, questioning and authoritative.

"Sebastian! What did you stop for! Explain now!" It was a woman, and Sebastian looked uneasy as he flinched and looked closer at us.

"Lady Coccinelle, I found some injured people on the road. It looks like..." He fixed his monocles and leaned forward, inspecting our faces. I blatantly glared at him, daring him to start something.

Leave. Leave, you weird mustache man. Take your ladybug (coccinelle is ladybug in French, which I found ironic because she was just like my father with a double name-Lady Lady Bug-hahaha) with you. Don't say anything to start trouble.

"My lady! It's Thérèse! Thérèse is injured on the ground with a babe!" He yelled out in surprise, tying the reigns up somehow and pulling a brake. He hopped off of his place and dropped to the ground, going to his mistress' door and opening it quickly. He unfolded some steps as fast as possible and made sure everything was set before dashing to us.

Did my influences not work? Did my intent not reach you? LEAVE WE'LL BE FINE.

...But wait, he knows Thérèse?

Sebastian moved me to the side without much care, then flipped the prone and dirty Thérèse over to inspect her. He leaned down and put his ear to her heart, fingers feeling for a pulse in her wrist. He sighed in relief as he assured she was alive, then finally half-heartedly looked at me.

Why do I feel like you hate me? I just feel it, I don't know, with how you carelessly pushed me aside like I don't matter. This is how Magaris first pushed me around when they found out I was still alive, I'll have you know. I don't care if you have anything bad in your past, dude, because when I grow up nice and strong I will personally open a can of butt-whoop on you. I keep grudges and nurture them well...