Chapter 6

You treated the cuts on your hand. They were going to leave scars but you didn't care. Arte knows what you really feel. Your chances of staying alive had changed. As you wrapped the bandages absentmindedly a another girl who was around the age of twelve came running in.

"Guys! The Emperor of Vols is coming to the upcoming party!" She says in a loud whisper after checking that there was no one stationed outside. Vols was an empire that border Roan. What made Vols different from Roan is that they didn't support slavery. Slave traders were persecuted along with people who took part in it. Another thing about Vols that made them different was that they had a fund to free slaves from other countries and empires and make them citizens of the Vols Empire. 

"What difference does it make?" A girl says. "We already been bought. There is no way we are getting out of here." 

"But what if we convince the Emperor of Vols to take us with him?" The girl who said the news asked.

"Even then. That would require us to be able to meet him face to face. Something I doubt we will be able to accomplish." You say as you finish wrapping the bandage. "Beside, if we get caught, we die. Do you really want to risk it?" You stare at her head on. The girl shrinks back.

"So we really have no hope do we?" She says as she trudges to her bed. No one went to comfort her. The words like "Don't worry you will be fine." or " Everything is going to be okay" sounded like lies. Those words sounded like they were mocking your situation in life. You soon go to sleep.

The next day you were assigned to maintain the garden. Another girl was assigned with you. It was the girl who told the rest of the slaves about the Emperor of Vols. You were quietly when she spoke up.

"My name Arity." she says as she pulls out the weeds. When you turn to her she continues. "If I am going to wind up dead with me escaping or not, I at least want someone to know my name." Then it occurred to you. Ever since you became a slave for the Emperor, you did not know the name of any of the girls. Maybe it was because they wanted to avoid sentimental attachment? Maybe it was because they felt so hopeless?

"My name is F/n." Arity smiles. You were shocked. It wasn't a sad smile or a forced one. It was a genuine smile. That was something you haven't seen in a long time.

"F/n. You remind of my older sister. The way you carry yourself was much like her."

"...Were you separated at the auctions?" You ask hesitantly.

"No actually. She tried escaping the caravan before we hit the auction house. The trader killed her then and there."

"I see." You say as you pull out weeds.

"...I lived with her and my mom." Arity says. "We lived rather isolated. We weren't a part of any villages. We all were walking back home when the men came. My mom tried fending them off so that my sister and I could run. We almost got away but we got captured in the end. They threw my sister and me into the caravan. I desperately searched for my mother among the girls. She wasn't there." You could see Arity struggling not to cry. Gently you pull her into your arms.

"I was from a village. We couldn't pay the tax so he sent men. My dad told me he saw them. He ordered me to wait in the back of our house. We both knew that running away was useless. I was finally taken away after they murdered him." Arity furiously wiped her tears and smiled.

"F/n will you be my friend here." You nod and she hugs you. "Thank you." You felt something in your chest. It was a warm feeling. You felt happy. You were happy you found someone you could call a friend. That happiness was short lived.

The middle aged woman you met on your first day appeared. 

"You. The older one." She pointed to you. "The Emperor demands your presence. Follow me." She walks away. Silently you went to follow. Arity grips the hem of your dress.

"I'll be fine." You say assuring her. "I may come back with scars or maybe even without a limb, but I will be fine." She lets go and you go to follow the woman. When you arrive at Arte's room, you knock and state who you are. He tells you to enter. When you open the door, you see a table that has two meals on top of it. He smiles crookedly.

"Hello F/n. Would you care to join me for lunch?"