The Return

Mystic Falls - Modern Day

It has always been a curiosity to me, how your surroundings can change in the most immense ways possible, yet still retain familiarity. Over a thousand years ago, this was my home. I would always be drawn back to it, despite constantly believing that each time I return, it would be my last. I couldn't help it. The last time I was here it had been 'founded' and named Mystic Falls. Today, the name is still the same. Yet, it's a whole new world.

As I drove along the road, trees and fields flying past, I noticed a sign - 'Welcome to Mystic Falls, Virginia' it read.

I was finally home again.

The reason for my return was - ironically - the same reason I left: Katerina Petrova. I had heard news from a friend that she was very much alive and didn't perish in that fire like I had originally believed. This was my chance. A new beginning. I was so tired of running...

My phone suddenly began to ring. Seeing the caller I picked up, smirking slightly as I did so.
"Hello, Rosebud" I mused, keeping my eyes forward.
"Grace, you're dodging my calls again" the irritated, yet calmingly familiar voice responded.
"I'm driving!" I replied in a sing-song voice. The exasperated sigh I received in response made me laugh, I rolled my eyes before looking in the mirror to check my appearance. My brown hair was a mess from the long road trip, dark circles were clear from lack of sleep, or I just looked like a mess in general... "I've just entered Mystic Falls, Rose".
"You sound awfully chipper about that" She said, sounding just as tired as I was.
"We" i emphasised, "Have every reason to be". I paused, before smiling and facing the road once more. "We'll be free soon".

Entering Mystic Falls once more after more than a century was eerily comforting. Everything was so different... The technology and infrastructure had altered the landscape immensely. Although I was perfectly used to the appearance of modern towns and cities, seeing my own home this way was another vision entirely.

I could only hope that Katerina was still in Mystic Falls... She was our only way of stopping my brothers mission for revenge. There was a time when I would have done anything for Niklaus, we were once inseparable. Always and forever, or so we promised... I will always feel guilty for breaking that. Yet, at the time I knew I couldn't send my own friend to her death for his selfish reasons. I understood his fear of our Father, but I couldn't stand idly by and let Katerina die. So when Trevor came to me, I knew I had to help.

Now however... Things were different. Katerina had only used our love and friendship to survive. An apparently reoccurring behaviour for her... or so I've heard. If she's still here, then she must be up to something.

Being as old as I am, I was aware that this Town has a rich supernatural background. Therefore, blending in was a high priority if I wanted to find Katerina before she finds me. So, as soon as I had settled in the motel, fed and checked on Rose, I knew that first thing tomorrow... I had to go back to School.

(A/N: Kind of a filler chapter, sorry! just wanted everything to make sense, thanks for reading!😊💖)