Chapter 30

Sincere Harris

My heart raced as I watched Cari run along the field, heading for the end zone. We all cheered him on right on the sidelines close to all the other players on his team, watching as he collected yards on the field. His footwork was absolutely amazing as he ran the ball, disregarding the play, heading for the touchdown. He was outrunning the running back and the quarterback, heading down the field without a care in the world. Once he made it to the end, realizing no one was close to catching him, he walked to the end zone, scoring a touch down as he did the infamous kodak rock.

He slammed the ball down on the field as they played "Transporting" by Kodak Black, boosting him up as he danced along the field, raising their score of 40 to 47. Jayceon, Kaylani and I cheered for him as he waved to us, lifting his jersey slightly to give himself some air. We were sitting along the sidelines with his family, enjoying the slight breeze and the close view of the game. I can't thank him enough because he's giving my little brother an experience he has always wanted. The coach has been interacting with Jayceon since we got here, and I'm happy for him considering this is the school he originally wanted to attend, but they weren't offering him a full ride. He settled for the University of Miami.

"That boy cold on the field.", Jayceon said, amazed at the way Cari easily made that touchdown. This was definitely a blow out game, as Miami was at 23 and Charlotte was at 47. It's fourth quarter and they definitely will not be catching up.

I smiled to myself as I watched Jayceon and Kaylani enjoy themselves at this game. We were sitting with Cari's parents, his younger sister and nephew. From the beginning of the game, things were really awkward. His parents and I didn't associate much, but his sister seemed to take a liking to me from the moment she laid her eyes on me. Her son was very friendly, and I found myself very pleased with him. He was ten and very smart for his age.

"Ms. Sincere, are you coming to the celebration after the game?", Cari's nephew, Andrew, asked me.

"Um, if it's okay with your nana and papa.", I said, referring to his grandparents who were listening in on the conversation.

"It's fine with me sweetheart.", Cari's father stated, as I gave him a small smile. His wife nodded her head, she was more distant and I could tell by her attitude, she was very judgmental.

At a young age, I've adjusted to people judging me off of my looks visually before they really look into me. My body signifies 'whore' to many older people, I'm beautiful with a very nice figure and I have a very silent way of addressing people. The fact that my pregnancy is now visible and I have two dependents, I'm positive people just think the worst when they first meet me. Judging a book by its cover is some real shit, but I've never been the type to give a damn about what others may think of me. I'm my own person, and I do this shit.

The fourth quarter of the game came rolling down to its last seconds, and Charlotte was over Miami by many points. It was official that Charlotte won the game when the clocked ticked down to zero, and our crowd erupted as the boys got dougie on the field. They were dancing and acting up as everyone began to gather their things and clear out the stadium. After a few moments of the players hitting the locker rooms, the coaches and referees opened the front gates of the stadium, allowing friends and family onto the field. We all went onto the field, waiting for Cari as many families found their star player, congratulating them or giving them a pep talk for next time.

Within a matter of fifteen minutes, Cari came out and found his way over to us. He'd changed jerseys and had on a pair of gym shorts with some plain black socks, and his Nike slides. His dreads were pulled back into a messy bun, and his duffle bag hung from his shoulders. He pulled his parents into a hug as they smiled at him, excited about his win.