My Date

Chapter 1

My name is Olivia Johnson and I'm 17 years old. In a few days I will be turning 18 and I will find out 'my date'. Which is what we call the day we die. We find out exactly when and how it happens. I have a few more days to enjoy not knowing how much longer I have here on earth.

I've had a pretty great life growing up. I live with my Mom, two brothers, and one sister. My mom,Anne, is one of the greatest people I know. She has always been the strongest in my family. One of my brothers,Josh, is 16. He is like my best friend. We can talk about anything, and we always are honest with each other. My other brother,Ben, and my sister,Jessica, are twins. They are 10 years old. Ben is one of the funniest kids I know and I'm not just saying that cause he's my brother. Jessica is the quiet one in the family. All of us are pretty close and don't argue and fight that much, and when we do it's never anything bad.

Now you must be wondering... What about your Dad? Well he died a few years ago. He died when he was 48. My Mom and Dad were happily married ever since they were 22. His death was one of the hardest things my family has gone through. It was December 3, when he passed away. When he turned 18 he was told he would die in a car crash. There was a bad storm on December 3, and he had to go to work. On his way home another car spun out of control and hit my Dad. He couldn't keep control of his car when it started rolling. Police told us it rolled 4 times before it stopped. The doctors told us he died before the ambulance or anyone got there. I miss him everyday but it's a part of life and we all knew that it was gonna happen.

One of the other hardest things my family has been through is when my older sister died. She was five years older than me. She died when I was 15, so that would make her 20. Her name was Karli. We use to fight a lot when I was younger, but as we grew up we started to bond and become close. It wasn't like me and Josh close but we could talk about most stuff. When I was little I looked up to her and I'd try to do everything that she did. She would get annoyed by me copying her all the time so we would end up fighting. The fights never lasted very long. We always made up pretty fast and got back to playing dolls, or whatever we were playing.

It was really hard to hear that she was gone forever. She died in the early spring, March 28. My family always had a tradition of jumping in this lake by our house. Well she went for a walk to get away and enjoy some peace and quiet. While she was there she fell through the dock and the water was to cold. She went into shock and drowned. A hiker found her on the shore of the lake, and called the police. When the police called my mom she burst into tears. I still won't go in that lake, no one in my family does anymore.

It's hard knowing exactly when the people you love will die. At the same time it gives you chances to say goodbye and to cherish all the times you have together. At first it's not that hard knowing your date or someone else's date but once there is only a month left it gets harder and harder. I don't wanna say goodbye to my family, but it's a part of life and there is no way around it.