Chapter 4. - Brightness and Royalty

In order to insult me, I must value your opinion...
Nice try though.

----------

ONCE WE HAD GOTTEN to Auradon Prep, we could see all kind of signs, the only thing they had in common was that they were all bright colours. Everything was bright just like I feared. And we were seeing everything through tinted windows... Oh god, my eyes are going to burn by all this cheery brightness. We could hear some kind of happy band music playing. I shared a disgusted look with Mal and shuddered. We came to a stop in front of the school and the driver got out, opening the door Carlos was leaning on. He and Jay were fighting over a... rag? Jay got out and put his foot on Carlos' chest, holding him down.

"Ow! You got everything else, why do you want whatever this is?" Carlos yelled at Jay. The band music died down, thank god. Evie got out next, having to manoeuvre around Jay who was still standing in the doorway. Mal got out after Evie, now it was my turn. I took a breath and braced myself for whatever I had gotten myself into.

"Because you want it," Jay answered Carlos.

"No! Ow!" Carlos screamed. Meanwhile, a woman with a way too happy smile that had to be painful came towards us. She wore a blue/purple-ish dress with a big ugly pink bow on her chest. She held her arms out wide which was probably meant to be a welcoming gesture. The girl beside her had long brown hair and wore a pink dress with a blue jacket thingy over it. She also wore a big fake smile. Next to her stood a boy with dirty blond hair and a, what I assumed was a school uniform. He, too, had a big bright smile, though I don't think his was fake. I didn't understand why everyone was smiling and started to wonder if it was mandatory.

"Guys, guys, guys! We have an audience!" Mal snapped at them. I gave them an angry look. If I'd have to keep up the act, so would they.

"Just cleaning up..." Jay laughed it off. "Get up!" He muttered toward Carlos, who was still on the ground.

"Leave it like you found it." The older woman said in a sing-song voice that made me wonder what the added value was. "And by that, I mean just leave it." She said in a normal voice that made much more sense. Jay threw the stuff he was holding in the car and grabbed the rag from Carlos, throwing it in as well. He pulled Carlos from the ground and finally gave our audience a proper look. He noticed the girl in pink and instantly shifted into his flirt-modus.

"Hello, Foxy. The name's... Jay." He said with a flirty smile. I fake-gagged and Evie giggled from beside me. The girl tried really hard to keep on her fake smile, but it slipped a little. The older woman interrupted.

"Welcome to Auradon Prep." Jay's smile dropped and the woman turned back towards all of us. "I'm Fairy Godmother, Headmistress." She said, ending with some kind of bow while spreading her arms. All I wanted was for this to be over.

"The Fairy Godmother? As in 'Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo'?" Mal asked, deciding to actually talk to these people. While I, on the other hand, really just wanted to be anywhere but here.

"Bibbidi-Bibbidi you know it." She answered.

"Yeah, I always wondered, what it felt like for Cinderella when you just appeared, out of nowhere. With that sparkling wand and warm smile. And sparkling wand." Mal said with fake happiness. Way to be subtle, Mal, I thought.

"That was a long time ago, and as I always say; don't focus on the past, or you'll miss the future." Fairy Godmother told her, making some weird movements with her hands. I looked away and rolled my eyes. Mal made a face but tried to hide it. The boy then stepped forward.

"It's so good to finally meet you all. I'm Ben." Ben started but the girl immediately interrupted.

"Prince Benjamin. Soon to be King." The girl nearly squealed. Ben laughed to cover up his obvious annoyance. Evie stepped forward.