Two

The house was burning and her bed is floating in the middle of a lake.

Lauren bolted up, waking up from her weird dream. She glanced around the room, looking for non-existent smoke to make sure the house isn't really on fire. She let out a contented sigh seeing her bed is still in the dry, very much in the middle of the room.

Lauren went straight to the bathroom. She brushed her teeth lazily and fixed her hair. She splashed water in her face, completely waking her up. She was heading outside but she stopped in her tracks.

The door was locked.

She shook the handle again.

Still locked.

"Camila!" She yelled, wishing the girl can hear her from the outside. She doubted though, knowing the other girl's room was on the other side of the house. She glanced back around the room and tried to look for a key. She sighed in relief finding a key neatly placed above a book sitting on the table beside the bed. 

She picked up the key and headed back to the door. Her eyes bulged out, realizing there isn't a hole to put the key in.

What the fuck?

She pounded on the door loudly again. "Camila!" She placed her ear at the door, trying to hear if someone is outside.

After five minutes of restless pounding, she gave up. The door was locked from the outside, there is a key, but there is no hole.

Lauren glanced back at the book sitting beside her bed. She tried to remember if the book was there before she fell asleep.

No, the book wasn't there.

-

Camila smiled as she took a sip of her hot chocolate. She heard Lauren pounding on the door, but she didn't make a move to unlock the door. She stood up and looked for some eggs and pancake mix. She heard Lauren shaking the door knob, and she wondered if Lauren saw the key. Lauren screamed Camila's name once again, making her chuckle as she placed the pan at the heated stove.

This is going to be fun.

Camila wished Lauren would be able to join her for breakfast.

-

Lauren eyed the book curiously. She traced the embossed title The Way Out, tracing the O that looks like a keyhole. She laughed at the irony of it. She's looking for a key hole, and there's one staring back at her, mockingly. The book looks old, so she flipped it to check if there is a date printed at the back. A blue piece of paper fell caught her attention.

2 raised to the power of 7 --it says.

-

Camila just finished cooking bacon and eggs. She stared at the door of the guest room, wondering how long Lauren will be able to let herself out. She picked up the pan cake mix and started pouring it at the pan cake maker.

-

What the fuck am I supposed to do to get out? Lauren clutched her stomach, grumbling in hunger. She remembered how thunder sounded, because her tummy is probably experiencing a storm.

She flipped the pages of the book carefully, afraid to tear a page. She noticed that the book contains 128 chapters.

128. 2 raised to the power of 7 is 128.

Where did I saw that number again?

Her eyes darted automatically at the door. She felt her heart beating frantically. She picked up the blue piece of paper again. She stared back at the door and counted. 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128.