Milagros

A young woman in her mid-twenties sat in a truck that was filled with workers and volunteers. All traveled in the plane for more than two hours and came from Los Angeles, California. Many of the individuals were going to certain villages within Oaxaca and other parts of Mexico to help many indigenous people.

In the back of a truck sat Milagros. She was considered beautiful among her peers. Her skin was light with a hint of the mixture. Her hair was long and wavy brownish blonde that she inherited from her father and light blue eyes from her mother. She was of Mexican and Syrian descent. Her father was from Nochistlan, Mexico, and her mother is from Masyaf, Syria. Both her parents migrated to the United States and fell in love. They had difficulty conceiving, but after five years of their marriage, they finally had a daughter and only child. They named her Milagros, which meant miracle.

Milagros looked at the nature that she was surrounded by. Green grass, hills, mountains, and trees, something she truly cherished. The air hit her gently, and her hair flowed along with the wind.

"Like it here already?" asked a masculine voice.

She looked at the man next to her. "I sure do, Conner. Don't tell me that you already hate it here?"

Conner was in his late twenties. He has long dark blondish hair and dark eyes. He had an average build as he stood at five feet and six inches tall. Connor had slight acne but still had his good looks, even if he had a child-like face. "Kind of, but my dad thought this would be a good idea for me."

Milagros giggled. "I can see why. You have no motivation whatsoever. I agree with him. Luckily he found you this position even though he is in charge of the organization. I think this will be a good experience for you. No more video games for you!"

Conner stuck his tongue out. "Screw you. I came here because without you being at home, it would be boring."

"Well, thank you. I look forward to this. I can't believe I'm going to be a teacher in a village. I can't wait to help the children in need."

"You are always are the bleeding heart."

The travel was long. Many of the workers and volunteers were dropped off in particular villages. About two hours later, both Connor and Milagros got off the truck and got their belongings. The truck left, and both stood on a dirt path filled with rock. The trail led to a nearby small village. They began to walk to the village. The nearer they got, the more they were surrounded by trees and grass.

After what seemed like an eternity, they arrived. Many of the people were outside doing their chores, and Conner and Milagros stepped into the village. Many eyes were on them.

"Hello, we are from Indigenous Education Organization!"