Chapter 42: A Small Breakdown

Sans and Grillby sat in the living room, awaiting for the anticipated arrival.

The room was quiet, all that Sans could hear was the fast, pulsing beat coming from his soul.

There was a firm, yet gentle, knock on the door.

Sans and Grillby looked at each other nervously, and made their way to the door, opening it once getting there.

"Greetings, Father" Grillby greeted, attempting to seem more confident.

"Good afternoon, my son. Now, where is him!?" Grillby's father asked intimidatingly, pushing Grillby out if the way and looking down at Sans.

"u-uh... hey. nice to meet ya. i'm s-sans. sans the skeleton." Sans presented himself, holding his small, skeletal hand up for a handshake.

Sans swallowed anxiously due to the awful silent treatment he received.

"Him?" Grillby's father finally asked with disgust, his scowl on deepening.

Before Grillby was even able to say something, his mother interfered.

"Ignatius." She hissed, her bright yellow flames arising briefly.

"Be. Polite." she reminded.

"But Freya! Just look at him!" Grillby's father whispered loudly in desperation.

Sans let his hand fall down to his side and looked away with rejection.

"Mother! Father! Um... Please take a seat!" Grillby quickly changed the subject.

Grillby's parents did as told and took a seat on the couch, only to continue having a quiet, small discussion about how to properly treat Sans.

Sans wouldn't have admitted that in the moment, but the way he got treated by such superior figure really did hit him hard in the chest.

"Hey bro!" A tall, red-ish colored elemental exclaimed, stepping into the apartment and ruffling Grillby's bright, almost golden-like flames.

Grillby lightly chuckled and blushed a tiny bit, pushing his older brother, Magnus, away with one hand.

"Hello brother." He welcomed formally.

"Sans, I present to you, my older brother, Magnus." Grillby presented enthusiastically.

"Woah you're so short haha. You heard my brother, I'm Magnus. Nice to meet you, man!" Magnus said, holding his hand up for a handshake.

Sans looked up at the towering figure, and shook his hand kindly.

"uh... same to you." He shrugged, too happy by the fact that Magnus really didn't really seem to care about him being a skeleton like his father did.

"So, has my brother done the 'hot stuff' with ya?" Magnus smirked.

Grillby's flames turned blue and soared all the way to the ceiling.

"Brother! Where are your manners?!" Grillby fumed, covering his flustered face with one hand.

Sans' face was completely covered in blue blush.

"What? I'm just asking!" Magnus laughed defensively.

"Oh be quiet!"Grillby mandated, pointing a fiery finger at Magnus scoldingly.

"Hehehe. Chill bro, I'll go sit with mother and father." Magnus said.

"Sure. I'm gonna be in the kitchen serving the food. Make yourself at home while I do so. Sans, you coming?" Grillby asked.