Chapter 88: Changes

A/N: It's been a very long time, since I updated. I've been pretty stressed with work and studies as well as with my private life. I didn't have any time the past month and I'd like to apologize for that and also for this really boring and short filler chapter. Also have I been writing a new book. I mean a book book, not a Wattpad book. So I have been pretty busy with my "book book" too.

The story kinda didn't turn the way, I wanted when I started writing this book. I never expected it to be so long. I wanted it to be like twenty chapters but it seems that it somehow didn't work. I also want to finish this book soon. I just hope that I don't have a writing blockage again.

Iroh's P.O.V

Months have passed since Taemin's death. Saira turned back into herself slowly. But something was still different. Today was the day, I was leaving for Republic City. I would leave my family in the Fire Nation. Saira refused to come along with me since the incident. She insisted on staying on Ember Island. We had moved from the Capitol, so my family was closer to me. Our summer residence was now an official Royal Palace, where Saira and the children lived. Zuko attended school while Ilah attended nursery school. Today was also an important football match of my son Zuko. They played against their rivals, the Capitol. He was afraid but Saira and I assured him that they would win.

"Stop staring at me and look for it!", Saira said desperately.

"Huh? What did you lose again?"

"Mommy lost her blue ring. Again.", Zuko giggled.

I looked at her chuckled:"Again?"

"You two act as if I lose it the whole time."

"You do mommy. Every time, daddy is at home."

"When I'm at home?", I raised my eyebrow.

"Yes, every time, you are at home."

"What does that have to do with me?"

"Because I'm taking off my rings, every night, you are at home, in fear you would damage it."

"Aha, you mean that...well.", I smirked and got up from the chair, I was sitting on. Is stepped closer to her, there was no space between us. My eyes never leaving hers, I grabbed her hand and pushed her lost ring upon her ringfinger.

"You could have told me that it was with you. You know how much it means to me."

"It was disturbing last night."

She pushed me aside, her cheeks in a burning red tone.

"Just get ready. We have an appointment today. Kuvira is coming as well as that ex-FEI man what was his name again..."

"Reyju."

"Whatever. Zuko, I want you and Ilah to stay in your rooms with Supriya. I don't want you two to come out, unless daddy or I ask you to."

Zuko just nodded and hopped off the chair, running towards Supriya and took her with him.

"I'm changing. You know where I am, if you need me.", Saira disappeared  upstairs, leaving me alone.

After a while he returned in her usual appearance, in a red dress and high shoes. I tugged her hair behind her ear and sighed:"You look different since you chopped off your hair."

"After everything that happened, I just needed a change, Iroh. My hair isn't gone, it's just a bob haircut."

Before I could say something, a guard walked in and informed us that Kuvira had arrived.

After we welcomed her, we went into the meeting hall. We sat down and the talks began.

"As you know, the United Republic belongs to the Earth Kingdom. I am here to ask for your support, Your Highnesses. The people of the Earth Kingdom and I are keen get our beloved United Republic back."

"As far as I remember, the United Republic is independent, Kuvira.", I stated.

"Well...that's what you think, General. The United Republic is still a part of the Earth Kingdom."

"I'm sorry to correct you again. It was a colony of the Fire Nation. Lord Zuko and Avatar Aang decided to make it independent instead of returning it to the Earth Kingdom."

"Your grandfather and Avatar Aang made a mistake. Just imagine the Earth Kingdom ruling Ember Island and not returning it to the Fire Nation after the war."

"As long as it benefits the world. People from all over the world, from every nation, bender and non bender are living in one country. They are living in peace."

"Peace? The day, Avatar Korra came to Republic City, there hasn't been any peace. Just look at its condition. If the United Republic was still a part of the Earth Kingdom, all this wouldn't happened. Everyone would have stayed in his own nation."

"Even if you succeeded. What would you do with those, who are not from the Earth Kingdom, with those children, whose parents are from different nations?"

"There is always a way, General. Let that be my responsibility. My question was...can I count on you, the Fire Nation?"

"I don't see why I, the Fire Nation should help you."

Kuvira chuckled and turned her head to Saira, who was just twirling her ring and listening to the conversation, obviously bored.

"How about you, Princess Saira. Weren't you always the one who would fight for independence."

Saira raised her head and gave Kuvira and a cold glare:"I'm not involved in this conflict. I'm neither the General of the United Republic, nor the Supreme Commander of the Fire Nation. The United Republic is independent."

"I hoped that you would change the discussion, like you did the earlier days."

"I had sworn that I wouldn't have to do anything with politics, the time I would be pregnant with my first child. I'm a monarch. I live to represent my country and solve problems within it, when the Fire Lady as well as Iroh don't have any solutions. But fortunately, the always have one. Iroh, as Supreme Commander has announced his decision. I can't change it. Even if I wanted to."

"You didn't think like that earlier."

"I needed the death of my youngest son to understand who I am, what position I have and what my duties are. But that's none of your concern. If you would excuse me, I need to leave. As well as you. Don't stay too long."

"You are considered as the strongest woman in the world. But I think these are just words, while your husband indeed is the most powerful man."

Saira chuckled:"That's right. Iroh indeed is powerful, it's something that you aren't. And I'm sorry for disappointing you. You shouldn't believe in everything you hear because the most powerful, the strongest woman in this world, is Fire Lady Izumi."

And with that, Saira stood up and left the room, head held high, leaving us alone. Although Saira didn't show it, Kuvira had found her weakest point, Rahul's death. I knew that Saira was broke down in tears, the moment, none of us would hear her but I couldn't cheer her up. She wouldn't want to look weak, especially not in front of Kuvira.