Chapter 35 (2)

Come to find out, my parents didn't leave because they had to get something; they went to Daniel's house because they were making a "surprise" party for me. How I found out wasn't Daniel's fault. I actually take fault in ruining the surprise. Daniel got a phone call, and I had to use the bathroom, but I over heard his conversation on the way.

On the way to his house, Daniel kept looking, well glaring, at the rear view mirror at Ky. I convinced Daniel to let him come. And by "convinced", I just told Ky he could come. I couldn't leave my friend when he came all the way to my house to give me a birthday present.

Daniel tried to muster up a conversation with me again: to see if I would talk to him. But, for some reason, the sudden confidence I had at my house, wasn't there anymore. Like it's behind this brick wall, and can't find its way around it. With my confidence gone, I start to feel the rapid thumping of my heart, and the slight shaking of my hands. I'm still scared of them. Of him.

And that fear only intensifies as he pulls into the driveway of his house.

Daniel's POV

I really thought Elise started talking to me. She seemed more comfortable at her house when I gave her, her gifts. Did I do, or say something wrong again? Was it something about the gifts? She said she liked them, but what if she was just being nice? I put my head in my hands, and rubbed my face in frustration, letting out an exasperated sigh.

"You alright, Daniel?" Mom asks, behind me.

"You could say that" I say turning around.

She peaks behind me, and narrows her eyes at me. "I'm assuming...nothing's going well with you and Elise?" She says, arching an eyebrow.

I shrug my shoulders in response, letting out another sigh. I turn around to where Elise was sitting on the couch. "Well, what is it Daniel?" My mom asks again, when I didn't answer her.

This time, I let out a harsh and irritated sigh. "I don't know, Mom!" She gives me a warning look about my tone, to which I just shake my head. "I don't know" I say again, but softer. I run my hand through my hair, and sat at the island stool.

"I'm trying...I really am" I start. "I don't know what I'm supposed to do".

My mom takes a seat next to me, and heaves out a sigh. "There's nothing you're supposed to do. Just...be the person she knew, and loved" Mom answers.

I let out a slight scoff and a shake of my head. "I don't even know who that is anymore" and focused my eyes back on Elise, who was now doing Maya's hair.

"Well, don't try too hard, like you are now. That's probably the reason why she doesn't trust you" Mom answers. "She doesn't recognize the you you're trying to be" and that's the last thing she said before joining everyone else in the living room.

It takes me a while to comprehend what she said to me. I'm acting like someone who I'm not? I guess, in a way it's true. I've been so focused on trying to get Elise to forgive me, I forgot the most important thing is letting her know she could trust me: the one she's known.

I make my way over to her, and when she notices me, she offers me a small smile. I take it as a chance to sit next to her on the couch. She stiffens, but doesn't move away.

"How are you liking your party?" I try to ask.

"I like it" She answers. "Thank you" She thanks, flashing me an actual smile this time.

I'm taken aback at first, but offer her a smile in return. "Of course". I look down at her hand, and take it into mine. Elise looks at me with raised eyebrows with a bit of fear in her eyes. I lean my face closer to hers.

"I will do anything to make it up to you" I whisper to her.

Her eyes start to well up in tears, and to try to hide it, she looks down and nods her head. I lift her head so she's looking at me again.

"Why're you crying?" I ask. "Do you still not believe me?" 

She doesn't answer but just shrugs her shoulders as an answer to my question. My heart drops, but I keep a straight face. Tightening my grip on her hand, I get up and lead her outside to my backyard.

The sun was just setting, leaving a mix of orange, pink, blue, and yellow in the sky. As the chilly wind blows, the tall trees and bushes start to sway and rustle. I look down toward Elise who was admiring the sky. Her face is still stained from the tears she just shed. I smirk down at her knowing what she's probably thinking right now. She's probably wishing she had her camera.

"So beautiful" she whispers under her breath.

Without looking away from her, I say, " I know".

She looks at me with a questioning look probably asking herself why I'm looking at her and not at the sky.

"Why'd you bring me out here?" She asks instead.

I shrug my shoulders. "Thought you could've used some fresh air" I answer. Even though she's wearing a long sleeved shirt, she shivers and starts to rub her arms up and down. I take off my jacket and draped it around her shoulders. She smiles and thanks me in gratitude.

"I'm really sorry for what I did" I say taking her hand that I hurt. I shake my head at myself. I'm so ashamed for what I've done.

She cocks her head to the side. "Is that why you brought me out here?" She asks. "Cuz if it is, you don't need to keep apologizing"

"But I do" I start, shaking my head. "And I told you I won't stop until you believe me. Elise...you need to understand how much you mean to me. I know it's hard to believe, but you mean so much to me" I explain. Her eyes soften and listens to me I intently. I take this as a cue to continue. I open the locket on her bracelet and pointed to her. "I'm going to do everything to keep that smile on that face. So...please...please believe me" at this point, my heart rate is going faster than the speed of light, but I don't care. I got to share with her what I'm thinking.

She doesn't do anything, but just looks intently into my eyes. She squints her eyes and cocks her head to the side. Before I could ask her what she's thinking, she reaches into her purse and grabs something out. I can't tell what it is as it's in her fist. She instructs me to hold my hand out. I do as she says, but still have no idea what she's doing.

She wraps something around my wrist and snaps it shut. When my mind finally processes what's happening, my eyes widen and a warm feeling of happiness overwhelms me.

"I believe you" She says with a smile.

I look down at my wrist where my other half of the bracelet lay. I bring Elise in a hug and buried my face into her neck. 

"I've missed you so much" I whisper into her hair.

She lets out a small breath of air. "I know...but this just means I'm ready to be friends again. Nothing more" She says sternly.

I pull back and shake my head at her. "I know, but it doesn't mean I won't keep trying for more than just friendship".

 "I know, but it doesn't mean I won't keep trying for more than just friendship"

A/N: Hey!

I'm so sorry for not updating in a while. Finals week was last week for me and I've been doing drivers ed and haven't been able to write. But, tomorrow is my last day of drivers ed so I'll try to get to writing and finally finish this book! I hope you enjoyed today's chapter!

Till the next chapter,

-Gia