Chapter 8

It was one day before the party. Arity and you among other slaves and servants were setting up the party hall. Arity was among the few slaves chosen to serve during the party. She was scared. She would be in the presence of your emperor. She hadn't brought up the Emperor of Vols ever since you shot down the idea. 

As you were setting up tables, you were summoned by Arte once again. You walked to his room and entered as soon as you were permitted. When you entered, you didn't see Arte but a beautiful dress.

"Do you like it?" You hear someone whisper into your ear. You turn and see Arte smiling. It was not a dark sadistic one but a simple happy one. You turn to the dress.

"It is quite beautiful. I am sure Lady Regina will be pleased with it." Arte loses the smile.

"It is for you." You turn to him.

"Me?"

"Yes. I thought you would look pretty in it."

"I am flattered Emperor, but I can't accept it."

"Then what will you wear at the party?"

"Party? I wasn't assigned to serve during it."

"You are not serving you will be partner during the party."

"Pardon me Emperor. If I may ask, what about Lady Regina?"

"She got sick. So I need someone."

"Oh." You didn't understand Arte's motives but you had no choice but to go along with his whims.

"Besides. You amuse me in many different ways." Before you could react, Arte kisses you. ( I feel like rushing this part lol) Your eyes are opened wide. He finally breaks the kiss. 

"Why?" You say without thinking.

"I don't know when or why but I have grown fascinated with you. I later found out it was love. I love you F/n." He said with no hesitance. "I know you don't love me yet. Perhaps with time, things will change." He grips your hand and walks you to the dress. "I want you to wear this for me for the party." 

"...I understand."

"Good." he says kissing your head. "I am also moving your sleeping quarters. Your room will be right next to mine." You nod. "I have work to do so I must be going. You can do whatever you please for the time being."

"May I go back to work then?"

"If it suits you." He then turns to leave. When he is gone you feel the strength leave you. Arte was acting gentle with you. The man who made you watch people getting tortured, who threatened your life. He loved you. You realized where you went wrong. If you showed fear that very day, you wouldn't be in this position.

Slowly you got up and went back to the hall. Arity was there and noticed how worn out you looked.

"Are you okay F/n?" She asks.

"I will tell you later." You say as you start organizing the utensils. 

Regina was lying in bed grumbling. She faked her sickness. She hated parties more than anything. She hated the woman who pretended to be nice and friendly. The men who were corrupted. She wanted to live quietly. She knew she was lucky to be born to such a family bit she wished she was given the freedom her siblings had. Because she was the oldest, she had to act as a proper role model. Because she the only legitimate heir, she had to pretend to be someone she was not. She was not an air-headed sweet naive girl. She was a cold woman who didn't give a damn about things that don't involve her. 

She kept thinking about Arte. "He must be soooo happy right now." She whispers out. She knew Arte liked you, but what you. You never expressed your feelings. It was very likely you didn't love him, but since it was Arte, you were in a position where you can't say no. "This girl better not do something stupid." She sighs.

It was late in the night. You brought Arity to the room Arte gave you. You explain what happened. She is awestruck. But then she frowns.

"Does this mean I won't get to see you anymore?"

"No. I will make sure we can see each other. I promise." you say as you hug her.

"Good luck F/n." She breaks the hug. "I need to go back. Early start tomorrow." She then leaves. You lie down on the bed. Even though it was much more comfortable you couldn't sleep. 

"None of this makes sense anymore." You say as you close your eyes. You have a very restless sleep.