10 : Birthday Gift

"Grandpa" I stood before grandfather with his usual stoic expression. "I didn't know you'll be here"

"If you answered your phone, you would have known"

The old man tone was calm and neutral, but I laughed softly knowing well that he was upset with me. The last time I left his office, I had purposely avoided calls from his secretary. It was his fault for lecturing me about Aion in the first place.

Smiling softly, I glanced at Alex who in turned, stepped up beside me and placed the white case down in front of James Lind.

"Happy Birthday Grandpa"

"You think this would put you in my good grace"

Despite his complaint, the old man blatantly opened the white case to look at the chess set.

"I can take it back if you don't like it"

I smirked when the old man ignored me and took out of the chess piece to study its beauty. The chess set had been entirely hand carved by a master. I've played enough chess to recognize a well-made chess set when I see it.

"James, you must be happy to have such a thoughtful granddaughter"

When Aaron Frye spoke, I suddenly noticed the table of eight. Along with my grandfather, his secretary Andrew, Victor Contra, my parents, Rose, and Eli Frye's parents were all sitting at the same table.While most of them of were looking at me, my parents and Rose was looking at Alexander Locke beside me.

"Alex" I figured it's best to introduce them. "My parents, Michael and Ivy Lind. And my sister, Rose"

"It's good to finally meet you Mr. Locke"

"And you Mr. Lind"

I watched quietly as my father stood to shake hands with Alex. And because Rose had sat beside father, I noticed her blushing cheeks as she seem to avoid looking directly at Alex.

"I was hoping to speak to you about a business deal"

Of course, as soon as my father met Alexander Locke, he would bring up business.

"Michael, maybe now isn't the best time" Aaron Frye chuckled at his friend's straightforwardness and also stood to greet Alex. "Aaron Frye, pleasure to meet you Mr. Locke"

"The pleasure is mine Mr. Frye" Alex shook Aaron's hand before he smiled at my father. "I presumed it's about the Emerald Urban City. Calla had mentioned to me about it"

My father glanced over at me with a stern, warning look. The man probably thought I sabotage his business with Alexander Locke.

"Yes" Michael Lind was a persistent businessman. "Please join us at our table so we can discuss further"

There was no free seat at the table. One seat could be added at best. It was obvious that the man didn't account for me to join.

"Why don't you send me the project files to review?"Alex maintained his usual business smile and manner. "Calla and I can meet with you both over lunch another day"

Alex smoothly extricated himself and returned to my side with a playful wink. All a while, my father didn't seem too happy.

"Calla"

My attention went to my sister.

"Why don't you join us? We can make room"

It was clear that my sister was interested in the man beside me. To insist for us to join them despite the lack of space is very telling.

"Why don't you sit with your family?" Alex grinned at me. "You don't need to worry about me. I can go back to the table"

Immediately, Rose was disappointed. I sighed softly, feeling somewhat disappointed myself.

"That's alright..." I look at Rose before turning to grandfather. "Grandpa doesn't like his space to be too crowded"

It was a good thing that James Lind didn't refute my statement.

"We should head back to our own table. Grandpa, am I back in your good grace?" I teased seeing grandfather's complete focus on the new chess set.

"Come to my office later this week"

The old man probably wanted to play with the new chess set. Since he let me use him in my excuse to leave, I conceded to his request with a nod. Turning to look at Alex, I let him know with my eyes that it's our chance to escape.