Twenty-five: The return of Lucian

LUCIAN'S POV:

It had taken a while for me to finally get out of the evil clutches of my roommate to see my family but I finally did.

When Amaryllis had first entered the Academy, I assumed I would have seen her often but how wrong I was. The only time I saw her was during the entrance ceremony and on occasion, sitting with a pink-haired girl on the cafeteria's second level.

It sucked to be inferior to her. I was in Class X, she was in Class Z.

She also hadn't gotten her spirit pet yet, and I have no idea how powerful she will be after gaining it. One could only assume that she would probably get some rare and extremely powerful beast that hid its form. After all, spirit pets were often a reflection of one's soul—usually, only a minor difference in the owner and pet's difference was there.

I had met up with step-mother and her companion—this country's Empress. They looked to fit well together may I add.

Behind them were two men —one a giant with short black hair and heterochromia and the other with long white hair and golden cat-like eyes. After hearing the detailed descriptions people had given when the Emperor had come to visit the school (Only god knows why he came), this man fit the bill.

Caroline had greeted me, offering to escort me to the secluded garden Imouto had found. The entire time on our way back, she harassed me along with the Empress. Some may feel flattered that two pretty women would show interest to them but I sure wasn't.

No one compared to Amaryllis after all.

She was a goddess or immortal while they were lowly mortals.

Finally, we arrived there.

Imagine my surprise when I saw Father and Amaryllis clinging to one another while a music box played sadly in the background.

I immediately knew—this was Amaryllis' mother's box. It was very precious to her and Father, and I could completely understand why they kept it so close to them. After all, I had lost my parents and the only thing left of them was my most valuable item—a jade necklace.

They both heard our footsteps, quickly wiping away their tears before faintly smiling at me.

Amaryllis opened her small arms and I ran over to my family, practically diving into her embrace.

She hugged me as I rested against her chest. I breathed in her scent deeply, it calmed my furiously beating heart down completely.

Much stronger and larger arms wrapped around Imouto and I. I knew they were Father's. We were now cuddling, much like we used to.

We stayed like this for a couple minutes before both Amaryllis and I got up, moving to sit somewhere else. I sat on Father's left while Caroline sat on his right. The Empress was seated next to her and the two women were quietly chattering.

On my left was Amaryllis and next to her sat the giant man who I had found out was General Etti—the worldwide phenomenon wolf-person. And next to him was the Emperor himself.

Apparently, during our time apart, my little sister had gone through many journeys including meeting the Emperor. I immediately knew they had a close relationship as she referred to him as Big Brother while he to her as Little Sister.

The silent giant also seemed affectionate with her, often playing with the white collar on her neck. It was rather beautiful, a white jade—free of impurities—crescent moon was hanging off the front of it.

The moon itself was engraved with many different little designs such as stars. Even that single piece of the collar-like necklace was probably worth a small kingdom's treasury. I couldn't even begin to imagine the price of the whole thing itself.

I noticed that in return to his touching —she would also reach out and stroke the simple buckled red collar on his own neck. It was most likely a sign of Genera Etti's pack as every time she did, he would seem to relax.

Eventually, she was sitting in his lap while he played with the collar on her slender neck.

I think Father was quite surprised as Amaryllis had never been too touchy with others outside the family. But she must have trusted this man deeply to even think of sitting in his lap—let alone stay there relaxed and allowing him to touch her affectionately.

The Emperor interrupted my thoughts with his words to Father and I.

"How is Argonda? Word has come around that your kingdom's money has been wasted by a certain royal and that the people are revolting. If you are in any need of help, I will happily provide the Empire's support. Amaryllis is like family to me and she is your's so I will treat you like mine." Though his words seem pleasant, I knew there was an underlying cold meaning underneath.

Father didn't even have time to answer before that snake chipped in.

"We would be glad of your help Your Majesty, right now, we do not have enough money to buy all our... necessities. If Your Imperial Grace would be so kind as to lend us some of your money, it would be well appreciated." 

She didn't actually mean all our necessities, only her greedy self's desires.

The Emperor's face turned into a harsh glare but before he could speak, Amaryllis interrupted. "Lady Caroline, Argonda has no reason to borrow Big Brother's hard earned money. We are flourishing with enough money to survive a thousand years if we are wise. Please do not try to take his money to fulfil your own desires. There is a reason why you have an allowance."

Her voice was stern and the Emperor turned to look at my sister in pride. I also did so while that witch glared.

When she spoke again, her voice was almost snarling.

"Dear daughter of mine, please exclude yourself from an adult's conversation. Also, that puny thing you call an 'allowance' would not be enough for even the lowest of commoner's child."

I saw the Empress nudge Caroline before whispering something into her. Immediately, she paled.

When I looked back at the Emperor, Amaryllis and General Etti, I knew why she was pale as a ghost.

They were fuming and I knew that if they got what they wanted, the snake would soon be lying in a pool of her own blood.

~~*~~

Lucian's back.

But so is the snake.

Yuck.

Still gotta love Etti, the Emperor and Amaryllis' lil pack. They are so in sync sometimes.

Let us all hope that the snake dies soon along with the Empress.

And guess what, I decided to write the side story about the old man being reincarnated. I'm thinking of having him appear in this story. Though the updates for that story will either be extremely slow or come in sudden bursts. Not sure when it will be up though.

But can I say, ever since the last chapter, I have been listening to music(al)box. I even made a small playlist for the ones I like. Link is  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKs-UeXiCM4&index=4&list=PLeTQw1AWN9KOnzyzv9wyAWJMGTnar9jKq

[Edit: the new story has been published! Whoop! Don't worry, this one will still be my main focus I just really wanted to write another one about an old man being reincarnated!]