Eighteen

Dying is relatively the easiest way out. Two seconds ago and you're running happily with your friends, and the next moment, you're gone. Like you never lived. Like the wind, poof.

What happens then? What happens when you die? Do you go somewhere called heaven if you believed in God enough? Or do you just remain floating, unattended soul who's lost at nothingness?

Do you come back to live a new life, with new memories, with new personality?

What happens?

-

"No. No. Camz no." Lauren cried. She cried for herself. She cried for Camila. She cried for the both of them. She cried for everything that's so fucked up in the world.

"Shhh baby it's okay. It's okay, I promise." Camila tried to assure her. Because it is. It's really okay.

"No no. I'm sorry. I'm sorry. Please don't leave me. Don't. I can't." But Lauren knew deep down that it's the end.

Camila touched her cheeks and smiled. She's happy. She's content. And she's dying. But it's okay. Because she's dying at the hands of her true love. She's dying in the hands of her soulmate who deserved everything in the world.

"When I first saw you-" she paused as she tasted blood in her mouth. "-when I first saw you, you looked lost. Your-your eyes, they don't seem so bright."

"Shhh stop talking. Stop." Lauren said as she tried to stop the bleeding using her hands.

"And I have this feeling that I- that I want to-" she coughed, "I want to be the one-the one to bring the light back."

Lauren wants to scream and yell and shout. She wants to question whoever is writing her fate, as to why this has to happen. Her mind went back to ten minutes ago, and she wished she can turn back the time.

***

"You killed Chris. You fucking killed Chris!" She stormed out, tossing the book across the room. She went to her room and pulled the gun underneath her bed. She pointed it at Camila who didn't even flinch.

"Oh." Lauren chuckled. "You're not afraid are you? You think you're not gonna die?" She asked sarcastically.

Camila stood there, staring at Lauren sadly. She knows this is bound to happen sooner or later. She didn't have a choice. Chris is destined to die.

"He's my brother! He was my best friend!" Lauren said the last sentence almost in a whisper. She almost choked and the pain in her voice makes Camila wished she never had to kill Chris. Lauren looked at Camila with determined eyes as she pointed the gun again.

"You think I can't kill you?" Lauren chuckled, wiping the stubborn tears that's continuously running on her face.

"I'm sorry." Camila said, almost a whisper.

"Your fucking sorry won't bring him back!" Lauren yelled, more tears coming and coming and never really ending. She thought about how Chris won't be around to have his own family. How Chris won't make her the best aunt in the world with his soon to be kids. How Chris won't be there to believe in her when everyone in her family didn't.

She didn't just lost a brother. She lost her best friend, her partner in crime.

"Camz. Camz." She knelt on the ground, whispering Camila's name in pain.

Camila moved to grab her but Lauren lifted the gun again. "Stop right there. You don't get to touch me. You don't get to explain." She said, her voice sharp and firm.

"Camila. Did any person you killed attempted to kill you first?" She asked, her head titling at her side.

"No. Jacob fucking stabbed you because you got his brother all tied up. He didn't even cared about you until you showed up taking his brother." She answered before Camila could.