08

Thursday. June 4, 1987

E.

It's been a day since Richie and I decided to fake our relationship and it was already doing nothing for us. I was sitting in my bed, counting my pills when he came out out of the bathroom in nothing but a towel.

"Get out of bed, we're going swimming." Richie announced. He shook his head violently, getting water all over my side of the room.

"Could you not dry your hair like a dog?" I snapped.

"Is that any way to speak to your boyfriend?" He winked, putting his glasses on. I glare at him, staying silent when he rummaged through his bag for clothes.

"Stare much?" He snickered, shaking his hips.

"You wish. I was just," I scratch the back of my head. "Wondering how you're comfortable enough to stand half naked in front of a complete stranger."

"We're hardly strangers, Eddie," Richie said, putting a shirt on. "We used to ride our bikes together back in first grade until you ditched me for stuttering Bill."

"That's not how I remember it," I said, thinking back to when he'd missed my dad's funeral. Everyone in town went, even Bill who was new to town that year. He didn't even know me yet he held my hand through the whole thing.

It's the past, though. Nobody stays friends with the kid they played with back in kindergarten.

"Whatever, close your eyes." He said with almost no warning, I squeezed my eyes shut. Seconds later I felt a hand on my cheek. He slapped my face lightly and I jumped back.

"I needed to change," he said, now dressed in swim shorts and a tacky tourist shirt. I rolled my eyes.

"I don't want to go swimming with you, Trashmouth." I crossed my arms.

"C'mon Eds, you have to. We need to publicize this relationship while it's still fresh." He pleaded.

"There's no relationship!"

"That's not what those girls think. Trust me, it'll work. Now change." Richie said, throwing a pair of shorts at me.

I ran to the bathroom, not liking the idea of undressing in front of him or anyone else for that matter. Once I was done, I ran to Bill's cabin to see if he'd save me by joining us.

I was ready to knock on the door when it flew open. Stanley Uris was smiling at me, dressed in swim trunks of his own. I gaped, confused as to why he had abs at our age.

"Eddie, right?" He looked down at me. I shook my head, snapping back into focus.

"Huh? Y-yes." I stammered. This made him smile wider. Could he not.

"Bill's getting dressed right now. Are you heading to the quarry too?" He asked, moving aside so I could come in. I stepped inside, thought before he could shut the door, Richie ran in after me. I rolled my eyes for the hundredth time.

"Stan the man!" Richie chanted, high-fiving Stanley as if they were best friends. "You screw Ed's mom in those shorts?"

I picked up a shoe, throwing it in his direction. "Shut your big mouth, Richie."

"Easy, babe." He laughed humorlessly. Bill came out from the bathroom, ready to go but surprised to see me there.

"Babe?" Stan chuckled.

"Eddie and I are dating." Richie shrugged. How the hell did he think this would make us cool.

"W-what?" Bill stared at me wide-eyed.

Shit.

➳ ➳ ➳

Ye boy, I was supposed to update last night yikes but I was really tired when I got home so I didn't smh and today was really busy too oh well here it is

-kat      9/19/17 @ 7:29 pm