Diners

I sigh as I walk out of the studio and start to walk to the small diner where Buddy and I had agreed to meet. It's only two or three blocks away... but which way? South? Right? Right!

I go to the right. I walk into the diner and see Buddy sitting at a booth in the corner. No one seems to have noticed him, that or they've noticed and already mobbed him. I walk over and sit across from him.

He looks up at me "Hey, babe. How was the interview?"

"Fine. It's cold out there, unseasonably cold." I say as I grab his coffee mug and hold it to warm my hands. "Sally got a little personal, but not as personal as that one guy last month."

Buddy nods. "He was crazy." He looks at the mug in my hands "I was drinkin' that, Vi."

"But Buddy, I'm cold." I complain, making a pouty face.

Buddy chuckles. "Fine, fine."

The waitress shows up with a tray of food. Looks like I have perfect timing.

"Hi, my name is Jessica, it's nice to meet you, Violet. Buddy went ahead and ordered for you both, I hope that's okay!" She has long brown hair tied back and a crooked smile.

"It's nice to meet you too, Jessica! I love your lipstick, what brand is it?"

"Oh, it's Max Factor!" She says as she sets down the plates of food.

"I love their makeup." I smile. It's not a lie, I use it all the time.

"Me too! Their foundation lasts for hours! What do you want to drink?" She asks.

"Water is fine, thank you," I say.

"I didn't know what you would want to drink, but I got you biscuits and gravy." Buddy says, rearranging the plates. "I thought you'd like 'em."

I laugh. "How do you know me so well?"

"We've been together a little while." He smiles. "How long has it been? Six years? No, seven. Seven."

"June 5th, right? What's written on that one box of letters? The one from our first Christmas?" I ask.

"June 5th, I'm pretty sure. It's been a while. Still back in Lubbock."

December 8th, 1953

Dear Buddy,

I've decided for Christmas that I'm going to write you letters and put them in a box with stuff you like. I don't know what else to do, you're hard to shop for. I guess I'll just write about the things I like about you.

Well for this first one, I like your sense of self. You've never thought you were better than anyone just because you're talented. You know what I honestly think, Buddy? I think you are better than everyone else. You're talented and kind and handsome and interesting and an amazing person. I'm so happy that we moved to Lubbock. If we didn't I would never have met you, and I would never became so happy. You make me happy, Buddy.

You make me laugh all the time and you make me smile and you're there for me no matter what. When I heard we were moving, I was upset. I didn't want to leave my friends back in Chicago. I didn't think that I'd make any friends. I thought everyone here we're going to be hillbillies, but in the long run, I'm so happy we came here. I'm so happy we moved. I'm just so happy that I met you. I love you. I, Violet Rosaline Winter, love you, Charles Hardin Holley. I don't know how to put how I feel into words yet, but I know that I've never been so happy to be around a person.

Sincerely yours,

Violet R. Winter

"That first letter was a struggle. I didn't know how to explain what love felt like yet." I smile and set down Buddy's mug. "I still don't, honestly."