Chapter 21

I stood discreetly on the steps that led up to the training room where Jace was crouched over the rune that hid the safe. I was supposed to stop anyone from going up - what I was supposed to say to them was beyond me, so I was just hoping the boys got this done quickly and nobody would come. I looked over my shoulder and saw Alec's stele appear on the ground in front of Jace, who hurriedly traced the rune and retrieved the tarot card, as well as a necklace that I recognised as Clary's. He re-locked the safe and put the stele back on the floor in the same position it appeared in. He pulled out his phone and texted Magnus and within seconds, the stele had disappeared again. Jace tucked the card and the necklace in his jacket pocket and walked quickly towards me, muttering, "Lets go," as he passed.

We made our way to the stash of weapons in the wall where we met up with Isabelle, who was taking her time packing a small bag.

"You might wanna pick up the pace," Jace suggested.

"You do not wanna be on my bad side right now," Isabelle looked close to tears.

"Are you gonna be okay?" I asked gently, putting my hand on her arm.

She threw the rope she was folding into the back, "The whole world is turning upside down. Simon turned into a vampire," Her voice was tight and strained, "Now Meliorn might die because of some-"

"It's not anything you did," I assured her, "They just put a bunch of unrelated facts together, and came up with a big lie."

Isabelle sighed, zipping up the bag, "I wish that made me feel better."

We turned to leave but came face to face with Hodge. "Where do you think you're going? It's a very dangerous time, and no one is supposed to leave the premises without express orders."

"Hodge, we were just about to-" Isabelle tried but Hodge cut her off.

"Lie to me?" He asked pointedly.

"Clary needs us, Hodge. The Clave is looking for her; she could be in serious danger," Jace reasoned.

Hodge looked around to see if anyone else was close by before lowering his voice a little with a smile. "Well, in that case, I'd make a timely exit before anyone of importance notices you're gone."

Jace nodded in appreciation and muttered, "We won't forget this," before we dashed out.

We raced up to the back entrance of the Hotel DuMort and saw Luke, pacing. He told us that Clary and Simon were inside and we decided that barging in wouldn't be the smartest or safest thing for anyone so we waited around until Raphael showed up, smelling us.

"The cavalry has arrived," He smirked at Jace.

Jace took a menacing step forwards but I grabbed his jacket and pulled him back. "Raphael, we didn't want to intrude, are you able to go and get Clary and Simon?" I asked him evenly and politely.

The vampire sent me a small smile and nodded, disappearing. Jace looked down at me, eyebrows raised, and said, "You have an interesting affect on people Samara Fray, you know that?" I just shrugged in return, not really knowing what else to do.

The door flung open again a few minutes later and Clary and Simon raced out. Clary ran straight into Jace's arms and I heard him mutter, "Thank God you're okay." He pulled back and looked up at the hotel. "So this is your safe hideout, huh?"

Clary wore a knowing look and replied, "Well, you think the Clave was gonna look here?"

Isabelle interrupted them, "Can we please focus on the matter at hand? Unless no one here cares that the Clave is planning on murdering Meliorn."