The Badass Mom

Recently...

We were both silent for a long time. "Hey," I began and he looked up at me. "At least we have something in common." 

He laughed, shaking his head. "Not a great start."

I shrugged. "What is these days?"

He then stared at me for a second too long. "Exactly."

We sat in a silence that was quite necessary, to take moment for the ones who died. For what we've had to do because of the ones we love dying.

I look into Carl's impossibly beautiful eyes that meet mine. He opens his mouth to say something but the woman who had just walked into the cell beat him to it.

"Hello," I look up at her at the sound of her voice, as did Carl. She has short, slightly curly, gray hair. She's wearing black jeggings, high boots, and a black t-shirt with a sweater over it. And she's holding a plate with vegetables on it. "Sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt."

"No, it's okay. Dad probably needs me anyways." Carl responds, standing up from the chair. Some weird feeling in my stomach tells me I don't want him to leave. I want to get to know him better, I want to talk to him more. I haven't talked to someone my age in almost a year, and I didn't realize how much I missed it.

The lady nods at him. "Thanks."

Carl nods back, walking towards the exit. Before he leaves, he turns to look at me and our eyes lock together. I give him a small smile and he returns it. "Talk more later?"

I nod in agreement. "Definitely."

His smile grows bigger as he nods before fully exiting the room. I then look up at the lady who is smiling down at me. "Seems you make friends fast." She responds, sitting were Carl sat moments ago. "I'm Carol."

"Ally." I introduce myself.

"I know." She responds with a smile.

Well duh, Ally...

"I brought you some food." She hands me the plate and I slowly take it. "You must be starving."

I give her a small smile, placing the plate on the bed next to me. I'm obviously hungry, I just don't know if I could hold anything down right now. "Thank you."

Carol nods. "So... you're Daryl's daughter?"

I nod hesitantly. "Something like that."

She gives me an odd look, cocking her head to the side. "What do you mean?"

"Nothing..." I shrug. "I just don't know him that well..." Carol nods, like she totally understands. We sit in silence for a few moments. "Can I ask you something?"

Her eyes meet mine and she nods. "What... What did you do before this?"

Carol shakes her head, like she doesn't understand the question. Then she shrugs. "It doesn't really matter."

I shrug back. "I'm pretty sure Daryl, or Rick, or somebody has told you what I've done... What I did. I just want to learn to get to know you people better." I explain. "Plus, you seem like you could be some sort of badass mom."

She laughs at that and I smile. "I see why you can make friends easily." She says, crossing her arms and legs, leaning back in the chair. "There's just something about you."

"I am Daryl's daughter."

"I thought you didn't know him."

"Does he seem like a bad guy to you?"

Carol smiles, glaring at me jokingly. "Touchè, Dixon."

I smile at Carol. She's growing on me. Infact, everyone I've met today has been growing on me. Maybe some things actually do happen for a reason.

She then sighs loudly. "I was a mom." She answers, emphasizing the was. And now I wished I never asked.

"I'm sorry..." I mumble, staring down at my criss crossed legs.

Carol shakes her head. "It's okay. She wouldn't have made this far anyways." I raise my eyebrows at her. She pauses. "She didn't have a single bad bone in her body."

"Just like Jamie..." I meant to say it in my head, but accidentally said it aloud. I've been alone for so long, I forget what the difference is between talking aloud or talking in my head, mostly because the only person I could talk to was me.

Carol raises her eyebrows, confused. "Who...?"

I shake my head. "Doesn't matter..."

"But it does. You just told me it did, and it does."

Well, sometimes I hate myself.

In reality, I just don't want to talk about it anymore. I can feel my face get redder and redder by the second and soon my hands are shaking. I sit on them so Carol doesn't notice. But she does. She takes a deep breath, standing up.

"Try to get some rest, okay?"

I nod, swallowing my tears. "T-Thanks."

Carol nods, giving me a sad, sympathetic smile. "You can talk to me about anything. Anytime you want." She says before leaving the cell. And I'm grateful she did say it.

Soon, all lights go out and I hear other people heading to their cells to get some rest for the night. I lay my head on the pillow, curling up into a small ball, staring at the cell exit.

Then Daryl walks in, finding that I'm still awake. "Try to sleep, Ally."

"I will." I nod. "Thanks."

He nods, about to turn to leave once again but stops himself. "Goodnight." He glances at me from over his shoulder.

I smile at him, clutching my pillow. "Goodnight, Daryl Dixon."