Four

"So the fundraiser's coming up." I broke the awkward silence in the car. Harry and I hadn't spoken to one another since the encounter in the elevator. I figured it was better since it gave me some time to think about what kind of man my boss really is. Had he sexually harassed those women, or was it a boss-employee fling?

"So it is. Should be extra special this year." His tone was mocking, as if he was plotting something...

"Boss asked me to keep an eye on you. To distract you so you wouldn't cause any mayhem." I blurted out before thinking about it.

"You too? That damn idiot doesn't learn- Turn left here?" I nodded my head as he checked the side mirror and indicated, swerving to the other lane in such ease. "Every year he tries to get somebody to distract me, it never works. Plus, this year I have something big planned. You can either be in on it, or out, your choice."

"Harry, he said it was important, the mayor is coming and-"

"Woah, wait," he interrupted me, "The mayor? Holy shit, that's perfect. That's brilliant!" 

"No, you're not going to do anything. You'll get yourself fired." It was one thing to do a small prank, but I have a feeling that what Harry's idea is something that would come back and bite him in the ass. 

"That dickhead can't fire me. Everything will go to shits if he does, and his father likes me too much. It would seem... odd." 

His father? "I've heard things about Mr. Marshall, was he a good man?" 

"Was and still is. He and I are close, almost like a father figure to me. He's the man I looked up to, even when I was younger, he's always been a better father than my dad, that egomaniacal arsehole." 

So Harry knew Mr. Marshall when he was probably in his teens, or younger. Then that would mean... "So you and John were friends?" 

He stiffened slightly, his knuckles tightened against the steering wheel that they turned a pale shade of white. He slammed on the brakes, coming to an abrupt stop. "We're here. This is it, yes?" 

I looked out the window, and sure enough we were outside my apartment building. "Yes, but you still didn't answer my question." 

"And that would remain. Goodbye Cass. I'll see you tomorrow." He obviously didn't want to talk about it, so I grabbed my bags and phone.

"Thanks for the ride." I muttered shutting the door and watching him drive away at a fast speed. It must've been a touchy subject. 

That egomaniacal arsehole, he had called his father. Was he that much of a bad man or was Harry just expressing his hatred towards him over something that happened long ago, like a long-term grudge? Maybe both. I shook it off, I want to go into my apartment and snuggle into the couch with a warm blanket and comfortable clothes.

As I stepped inside my flat, I was welcomed with even colder air than outside, as well as the smell of leather furniture and clean windows. I almost ran to the thermostat and turned the heat up, waiting until the whole flat warmed up. It was only 7, yet I was completely exhausted, and hungry. I heated up the leftover pizza from yesterday, throwing my keys and phone on the bench top and slipping out of my shoes.

Oh, what a relief. My feet felt numb, and it was such a precious moment to step out of them. I awkwardly walked back into my bedroom, where I changed into my Tweetie pajama bottoms and a threw on a jumper. I had to call my dad, he'd constantly texted me, asking if I'd call him just as I'd finished work. I guess now was the time.

I pressed his name in my contacts and put it on speaker phone, hearing nothing but the dial tone for a few. 

"Cassandra!"