Chapter 26

Magnus, Jace, Clary and I, stepped out into a field of unkempt, ankle-length, green grass. Magnus looked around, "Ragnor's house is just across these fields. Let's make this quick - we'll talk to Ragnor, then portal him back to the Institute before anyone knows we're gone."

We started at a fast pace across the field, an uncomfortable silence settling.

"So brother and sister, huh?" Magnus asked. I face palmed, knowing this was not about to go well.

"I don't wanna talk about it," Jace replied, not looking back as he strode through the grass.

"What, so we're just gonna be work buddies now? All about the mission, and totally ignore the huge bomb that was just dropped on us?" Clary demanded, trying to catch up with Jace and make him look at her.

"Yeah, sounds like a plan," Jace answered before glancing back at us over his shoulder, "What do you want me to say, Clary? That I was attracted to my sister?"

Magnus interjected before Clary could offer a response, "Point of fact, brothers and sisters are often attracted to each other - I once knew this one couple in ancient Egypt-"

"Magnus, not helping," My sister hissed.

"Maybe this will all make sense when we wake up Jocelyn. Since she is Jace's mother as well, perhaps-" Jace stopped abruptly.

He pointed a finger at Magnus, "Don't say that again - Maryse is my mother. At best, Jocelyn is the woman who abandoned me."

"Hey, that is not true," Clary objected. "My mother would never abandon her son; she thought you were dead."

"Or maybe she just didn't want me," Jace countered, narrowing his eyes.

"You don't know her, Jace-"

"That's right, Clary, I don't. Do you?"

"I'm sorry I asked!" Magnus cut in.

"I came with you to escape my relationship drama, not get a front row seat to yours," I added with a glare.

I heard a crackle of what sounded like fire and I whipped around, but there was no sign of flame. Suddenly Jace yelled, "Look out!" and I grabbed Clary, pulling her back out of the way to safety.

"Ragnor put up wards to protect his lair," Magnus explained.

"Why is the fire green?" I questioned.

"It's a wall of fire that only the pure of heart and intention can pass through," Magnus looked at me as he spoke, "Are you ready?"

We walked forwards through the flame, and all I felt was a slight tickling sensation. I passed through to the other side and looked to my left, expecting to see the others, but I was met instead with a large patch of empty green grass.

"Shit," I cursed before looking up at the sky, "Are you kidding me right now?" I saw a house had appeared through some trees and I let out and exasperated sigh, running towards it. The door was unlocked so I pushed it opened and walked in. "Uh, Ragnor?" I called. "Hello? Anybody home? I need your help," I shouted.

I cursed again, walking further into the house. I walked passed a large self-portrait but suddenly stopped, back tracking until I was back in front of it. I smirked, "Nice try," I reached into the painting and pulled the man out.

He landed on the floor with a grunt, "Well done Samara Fairchild," He took the hand I was offering and let me pull him up. "I've been expecting you; you have Jocelyn's talent, I see. Only a true artist would notice the subtle changes in my eyes."

We walked into a living room and he turned to one of the empty chairs and snapped, "Yes, I know I need to work on not moving my eyes, you don't need to remind me."