Eighteen || Sleep Tight

|| Sleep Tight

     Jacy paced the hall of Eichen's basement, unable to settle down her thoughts. Not only were the voices growing louder in her distress, but she was undoubtedly worried about Lydia and Allison.

     Nothing good ever came from Eichen House.

     "I can't hear anything," Scott said, having tried for the past ten minutes to listen in on the conversation with Valack.

     "I wish I couldn't hear anything," uttered Jacy, walking back and forth in the minimal space. Her ears felt like they could explode, right along with her brain. "But it's the mountain ash. I can feel it, too."

     "It's kinda like being sedated," he replied, leaning back against one of the concrete walls. "This was a bad idea, wasn't it?"

     "They'll be okay without us," Jacy said, heels near silent on the ground. "And those two, they're amazing together. They always have been."

     "Yeah, yeah they are," Scott agreed quietly. "But I mean you, too. Are you okay? I can't imagine how loud it is for you."

     "It's okay, but if you kept talking that would be helpful," she said breathily, fighting for her own air as panic started to cling to her. "It drowns out some of the voices."

     "Of course. What do you want me to talk about?" Scott was eager to help - he always was.

    "How are you and Allison?" Jacy asked, eyes closed as she paced.

     "Good, we're good. Yeah, we're still pretty relaxed, y'know. Working stuff out. We're trying not to move too fast this time."

     "Have you talked to Kira since she left?" Jacy followed up.

     Scott lightly shook his head. "Not really, no. After we broke up, we've just given each other space."

     "And does she know you and Al are back together?" asked Jacy, her pacing slowly beginning to settle.

     "Before she left, she told me it was okay if it happened. She could...tell, even when I didn't think it was showing," Scott replied. "Allison was the first girl I ever loved and that doesn't just go away. She knew that. She understood."

     "Especially when said first love comes back to life," she offered.

     Scott softly laughed. "Yeah, that definitely changed things. I knew I would always love Allison, even when she died, but I didn't know I would get to love her again. Not like this."

     "A lot of people don't get a second chance. Most people don't," said Jacy, leaning against the wall opposite of Scott. "To give up that chance would be a huge regret, even if you couldn't admit it to yourself."

     "Exactly," he said, "and I think Kira knew that too."

     The lights crackled above the wolves, only Scott lurching up from his relaxed position.

     "Did you see that?" he asked hastily, assuming something was about to go horribly wrong.

     "Don't worry about it," Jacy told him nonchalantly. "It's just a ghost."

     Scott eased, almost laughing. "Just a ghost," he repeated, meeting eyes with Jacy. "What a strange life we have."

     "No kidding, McCall."

     "It feels like you've been here longer than you actually have," he said after a brief moment of silence, resting back against the wall.

     Jacy's brow softly arched. "What do you mean?"