17

I'm sorry, but I must've misheard what just came out of Jennifer's mouth. Pregnant? Who?

"Excuse me?" I ask, adding a small laugh and shaking my head.

"Leah, I'm fucking pregnant." She says and I know she's being completely serious once I see the tears in her eyes.

"You're pregnant...." I say and just stare at the screen.

That... that is a lot to take in. Neither of us speak and she keeps wiping her eyes to keep the tears from falling down her cheeks.

"Okay... I am going to need for you to take me through this slowly." I say and sigh.

She closes her eyes and rubs her head, "I-" she pauses and I can hear how stressed and frustrated she is. "I haven't been feeling like myself for some reason and I noticed that my period was super late. I just thought it was because of the stress from everything else going on, so I didn't think much more about it. After a month passed and I still hadn't gotten it I panicked and bought a test... it came back positive. Then, I went to the doctor this morning to confirm that and.... yeah. It's true. I'm pregnant, Leah." She says and shrugs her shoulders and pushes her hair away from her face. Damn.

"Baby..." I say and shake my head, "I- does Aaron know?" I ask her and she shakes her head.

"No! I haven't told anyone except for you! I don't even know what to do, Leah. I am freaking the hell out and I just need- I don't- UGH!!" She gets super frustrated and puts her head down.

"Jennifer, listen to me. Right now I just want you to breathe and try to figure out a way to stay calm, okay? You'll be okay, regardless of what happens." I say.

"Leah, I don't even want kids.... I never have. I can't be a mom?! How am I going to do this alone?! Aaron is going to be pissed and I don't know why you'd even think about staying with me and getting tangled up in this shit-show..." she says.

She's really thinking about the worst case scenario here. "Woah, Jen. I'm not leaving you, baby. It's okay, just calm down. I'm here no matter what. And I doubt Aaron would be angry. He can't be angry for a decision the two of you made together... It isn't just your fault and it's not just his fault. You two made the choice to have sex without protection, and this just so happens to be the result." I say and shrug.

I try to appear calm and collected to her when I'm actually freaking out as well...

"Leah, you're so far away. I- I can't do this shit by myself." She says and starts to cry.

"Hey, hey... don't. You know that isn't true. I might be far away, but I'm still here. Whatever you need, I've got you." I assure her.

She just looks at me through the phone and closes her eyes, "I need a hug." She says and my heart aches at the sight of her sad eyes.

"This is a lot, I get that you're stressed and anxious... but take a second to breathe. Okay? Don't lose yourself in this. It isn't the end of the world. I'll stay up with you for as long as you need me to tonight. Okay?" I say and smile softly. She nods and that's the beginning of my night... my very, very long night.

I wake up and I feel like I've had a crazy dream. Then I remember it's real life. Jennifer's pregnant and in a different country... right.

I text her first thing and tell her good morning and that I love her, trying to give her a sense of comfort and normalcy. Then, I start my day. I head to the office with a million things on my mind, the last of which is my work. My office is on the second floor of the building and the "big boss" so to speak, is located on the next floor up. I never go see him, so when I do he knows it's serious.

I walk into his office and he smiles, "well this is a nice surprise." He says. I sit myself down in the chair across from him and shake my head.

"I think I need to quit." I blurt.

"What?!"

"I apologize for the short notice, and you know how much I love what I do and how much I appreciate everything you have given me, but I have a lot going on back home right now and that's where I need to be." I explain, my mind already made up.

"Leah, you're kidding..." he groans, not wanting any of what I am saying to be true.

"I wish I was! I have a flight back home in five hours, one way ticket. I have a real estate agent coming to handle my condo later today and my bags are all packed. I'm prepared to clear out my office right now and hand in my things." I say and he knows I'm serious.

"Leah.. we can't lose you. You're a true asset to this company." He says.

"I appreciate that, but I can't-"

"I have some news." He says.

"Sir-"

"No, listen. It isn't even supposed to be out yet, but we are opening an office in New York later this year. It's a big secret, so you cannot breathe a word of this to anyone.... but I am prepared to offer you a job as office manager and coordinator for the entire U.S. branch of the company the moment it's open." He says. Well that was a total blindside.

"You're serious?" I ask.

"Absolutely, Leah. You're the perfect person for the job and very deserving."

"Where do I sign?" I smile.

He smiles right back and pulls out a piece of paper from his filing cabinet and slides it across the desk. I grab a pen and sign a few lines and then I sigh, "thank you... really. I'm glad I don't have to let go of this job." I say and stand.

"It's an honor to have you, Leah. I hope you know how valued you are here. You're always welcome at this office and any office we open in the future. I'll be in touch within the next few weeks with more details about the New York job." He says.

"Thank you, sir." I say and leave the office.

I quickly go downstairs and clean out my things, giving items away and throwing some into the dumpster. The only thing I'm interested in right now is getting home to surprise Jennifer. I'd drop anything and everything for that girl, even if it means making a drastic decision to move countries overnight.