Chapter Eighteen

"No!" I back up against the tent, my eyes wide in horror. "No..." I moan like a lamb headed to slaughter, my fingers curved into talons. "Please, have mercy!"

It's my worst nightmare.

Dressing up.

"Ode," Ryu grins at me, calling out to me in a sing-song voice, "where are you?"

I fall to my knees, putting my hands over my head as I try to make myself as small as possible. The tent flap draws back.

"Gotcha! Hiding in Prince Elio's tent, are we?"

Ryu's standing there, holding a fine Diviner's robe that's such a deep, rich black that it fades into shadow. It's embroidered with careful gold thread imported from the North, the finest that Elio's seamstresses and weavers could manage.

"I have your performing costume right here." Ryu holds the fabric against my body, admiring his handiwork. I look down at the bucket of freshly boiled well-water, staring at my grimy reflection. My braids hang limp with sweat, my skin splotchy and pale from the dust. The other swathes of skin are burnt to the color of clay, some skin peeling from scabs. Dried blood sticks between my fingers. When I consider the water, I don't recognize myself. Aside from having the soft, blood-moon eyes of my mother, I look crazed, wild with the thought of bloodshed. When I smile at myself, the smile looks inhuman. Defiant.

I look like my father.

"Don't put that fluff on me," I hold my head high, "I don't see why I can't perform in these exercise robes."

Ryu rolls his eyes and hangs the dress robe over a low stool with gold lion's feet. He lifts the tent flap again and a few of Elio's disgruntled soldiers are carrying in more pails of water, alongside a rounded, portable tub.

"Why haven't you bathed?" I whine, watching the water in the tub whirl ominously.

He grins and runs his fingers through his dark hair. His skin comes away damp and smelling of incense and kindling. "I already did." He lifts his usual red robe, and he reveals that he's wearing a loose-fitting red-silk shirt and a pair of soft black trousers. His warm skin peeks out in select areas to show off his lean physique, sun kissed from all the training. When he pulls his hair back, fine gold hoops dangle from his ears. His Diviner beads are set in a new necklace around the low crevice of his throat.

"You look like a mischievous desert spirit." I tell him.

"The best kind of spirit to be." He replies with a teasing wave as he shuffles the guards out of the room. "Elio's left some guards to make sure nobody walks in on you while you're changing." He points to another low table with a small vial of kohl and various brushes. "And the prince brought those for cosmetic usage."

"I don't wear kohl."

Ryu shrugs. "Then think of it as a tactical advantage. In the arena, the kohl will help protect your eyes from the harsh desert glare."

"Oh..." I stand there, hugging my sweat-stained and bloodied arms around myself. Ryu does a flourishing bow and is about to leave when I stop him. "Ryu!"

"Yes, Ode?" He raises one delicately pointed eyebrow at me, the features as delicate as a bird's. My mother would've loved him as a son, beautiful, talented, and gentle just like her.

"Thank you."

Ryu smiles and nods at me. "Anything for you, fox pup."

***

Hello my Champions!

So we've discovered Ode's secret weakness.

Formal attire.

-Sophia