12|| Annabeth

Harry, Ron, and Hermione were muttering among themselves as they sat down at breakfast later that week. As soon as the demigods sat down with them, Hermione subtly slapped a newspaper in front of Annabeth.

"Look at this!" she hissed.

Annabeth stared at the paper, spotting a very nasty picture of Umbridge impersonating Medusa-- wait, no, she was smiling.

"The Ministry made Umbridge High Inquisitor," she snapped. "And she's allowed to inspect other teachers... see if they're qualified enough... this is outrageous!"

Annabeth looked up at the high table, where Umbridge was sitting at her seat with a rather smug smile.

Ron let out a chuckle. "Oh, but just wait until she inspects McGonagall," he cackled. "Umbridge won't know what hit her."

Percy grinned too, then frowned. "But I really hope she doesn't 'disqualify' the other teachers," he said in concern. "Poor old Flitwick, imagine him getting booted..."

The classes passed normally, with no Umbridge inspections as of yet. Lunch passed, then Hermione parted them as they went up for Divination. But there was a newcomer in the room as soon as they climbed up the ladder.

"Wonder how she got her fat butt through that hole," Ron mumbled silently as they sat in the back of the room.

"Quick, make up a dream in case she comes our way," said Percy desperately as he and Annabeth sat down at a small table.

Annabeth pursed her lips and thought.

"Hurry!" Percy was looking intently down at his book, and Annabeth could feel a gaze on her.

"Two nights ago, I dreamt that I was in the Forbidden Forest," Annabeth improvised. "There were wild centaurs running across a river... The water began to flood the forest, except suddenly it was fire instead of water, then I woke up."

"Half-breeds," a voice said softly, full of contempt, like the owner was unaware she had spoken. Annabeth tensed and bent stiffly over her book, analyzing her fake dream. There was a scratching noise of a quill on parchment.

"Safe," Percy whispered after a moment. They both leaned back and watched as Umbridge made her way back to the front of the room where Trelawney was questioning Neville on his dream diary.

"Half breeds?" Annabeth demanded in a low voice. "Did you hear that woman?"

"She should talk," Percy scowled. "She's basically half human half troll half toad."

They both leaned in as Neville walked back to his seat quickly and Umbridge shifted so that she was facing Trelawney.

"Now," she said sweetly. "You've been in this post how long, exactly?"

Trelawney scowled at her, arms folded and owl-eyes narrowing. After a slight pause, she said resentfully, "nearly sixteen years, now."

"Quite a period," said Umbridge, scribbling down on her clipboard. "It was Professor Dumbledore who appointed you?"

"That's right," Trelawney said shortly.

Umbridge's quill scratched the parchment again. "And you are the great-great-granddaughter of the celebrated Seer Cassandra Trelawney?"

"Yes," Trelawney said loftily.

"But I think — correct me if I am mistaken — that you are the first in your family since Cassandra to be possessed of second sight?"

"These things often skip — er — three generations," said Professor Trelawney as stonily as she could.

Umbridge's smile widened. "Of course," she said sweetly. "Well, if you could just predict something for me, then?"