2.13 - The DNA Test

Ian

I woke up to someone breathing on my neck. I opened my eyes and blinked a few times before looking at the white ceiling. I looked down at my beautiful daughter who was clinged to me with her hand and leg drapped over me and sleeping soundly on my chest. I smiled looking at her and brushed my fingers through her hair. Kissing her head I detached herself from me and kept her back on the mattress.

I sat up straight and rubbed my face with my hands. Last night was beautiful, we kept two big mattresses on the ground in front of the balcony and spent our night playing board games and the kids jumped on the mattress giggling and laughing. Time passed so quickly that we didn't realise when we fell asleep. Ryker was finally warming up to me and that was a relief, big one.

I glanced at the boys who were sleeping, stretched like an amoeba with Ryker's leg on Nathan's face. I chuckled and gently pushed Ryker's leg away and looked at Nathan. I can't even remember the last time I saw him so happy and sleeping so soundly. No matter how much I try to ask him what was it that was bothering him he always said 'nothing'. I hope he is telling me the truth. I kissed the forehead of my kids and realised Alison was not among us.

I got up in the sweats Alison gave me yesterday to change into and stretched my arms over my head before following the smell of coffee and waffles. I leaned on the the wall and watched Alison dance around at the rock music while making breakfast. This is the sight I wish I could wake up to everyday.

"Good morning!" I said. She froze mid-dance with her back on me. Slowly turning around with a red face she mumbled a low 'good morning'. "You dance pretty well" I teased make her blush deeper, if that was even possible. "Oh! Yeah, thankyou. I guess?" She mumbled and tucked a piece of loose strand behind her ear. I chuckled and looked at her with a smile. "Waffles?" She asked and showed me the plate full of them. I shook my head.

"The storm's clear. I should take Nathan and get going" I replied. "Stay for breakfast and maybe Nathan can stay for the day and play with the twins" she said. I looked back at Nathan whose chest was falling up and down slowly and eyes closed. He could have some more fun, besides that will give me a chance to meet Alison again.

"Okay, he can." I said. She beamed and looked at Nathan. "You can have a shower in the guest room. I'm sorry but I don't have a spare formals. Caleb only has casuals in here" she said while moving around in the kitchen. "I'm sorry, what? This is Caleb's?" I asked looking down at my black t-shirt and grey sweatpants. Who would've thought that I'll wear his clothes?

"Yeah" Alison answered casually and got back to work. I sighed and walked in the guest room and showered. I wore my clothes from last night and walked back outside running a hand through my wet hair. When I was back I found the kids were awake and chasing each other in the living room. "You'll go home and change?" Alison asked while setting the table. I looked at her and started walking towards her. "No, I have clothes in my office" I said and sat on the chair.

"Dadda!" Nathan yelled happily and ran towards me "Good morning!" He greeted and kissed my cheek. "Good morning, son" I greeted back and kissed both his cheeks. My eyes landed on Raine who was suddenly all silent and was looking at us with sadness. I realized the reason why she was sad about and my heart broke.

"Well, aren't you going to greet me, beautiful?" I asked with a mischievous grin. She grinned back at me and ran towards my direction yelling a 'good morning' and kissed my cheek. "Good morning to you too, beautiful" I said and kissed her cheeks. "Good morning!" Ryker said while sitting on the chair. I smiled and said the same to him.

Alison came back and we had our breakfast together laughing at the twins who fought for even a small thing and now Nathan was included in that little gang.