12. The Light to his Darkness

"Ray could you bring Dan over" I was on the phone with Ray in the kitchen. I made sure Liam heard every word that I spoke "Feed him and make sure he's asleep when he's here"

'Why would you want him asleep?'

"I don't want Dan to talk to him"

'And why is he still there'

"About that, you are having a guest at your home tonight. Clean up your guest room" I put the phone away from my ear "Stop yelling Ray" I yelled back "It's either your home or mine. Do you want him to sleep in my guest room?" That shut him up.

'Fine I'll put bugs in his bed'

"You can't do that Ray" I whispered "Did a huge rock hit your head or something? Don't you remember that he is the leader of our pack? He needs to be respected"

'Yeah whatever' I could imagine him rolling his eyes

"Don't do that. And when you're here, behave. You don't want to be the reason for my death, do you?"

I cut the call and went back to sit across Liam.

"What are you playing at?" he asked

"I don't want you to talk to my son right now. We haven't finished talking alpha"

"Will you stop calling me that? I have a name"

"I don't want to be on a first name basis with you, Alpha"

"Are you doing this to get on my nerves? If that's the case then its working"

"Do I look like some kind of a joke to you?" I questioned back.

"What do you mean" he was taken aback

"Me, my child, our bond, are we a joke to you? Do we come across as so cheap that you take us as your backup?"

I could see his jaw clenched; the veins in his neck protruding, all his haughtiness gone, but he didn't utter a word. I waited expecting a reply, denial, acceptance, anything. Nothing, he didn't utter a word.

"I'm waiting"

"I'm sorry"

"You said you wouldn't utter that word again" I gritted my teeth, trying to control myself. I wanted to scream. My anger, I realized was coming in waves. I was angry, scared and frustrated all at the same time. The fear, I was trying my best to hide it but it won't be long before he unmasks it.

"I don't know" he whispered "I really don't. I'm feeling so....so helpless, so hopeless" He looked up at me. My heart skipped a beat. His eyes were filled with unshed tears "Please" he uttered as a lone tear drop escaped.

"Please what?" I said, not looking away from his pain "Do you want me to not ask you uncomfortable questions? Do you want me to make it easy for you? Why? Have you ever done anything that I should be grateful for? Do I owe you a favor?"

He looked away but I continued "Did you come here unprepared? Did you not expect any resistance? Did you expect your mate to welcome you with open arms? Am I supposed to be thankful that you finally paid us some attention? Do you want me to thank you for coming here for Dan?" I took a deep breath "If so, you are wrong. I wasn't waiting for you. We don't need you here. We are happy without you. Dan doesn't need you either. He already has a father. My child may have your blood in him, but he is Ray's son in every other way. He raised him and has been with him even before Dan was born. Even if we aren't together, even if we never see each other ever again, he would still have as much right on Dan as he has today. He can never be yours. He never was. We..... we were just a one night stand. That's it. I never held you responsible for him. So please for god's sake forget him" I said with finality.