10) Engagements & Secrets

"May I join you?"

I was sitting in my corner in one of Mrs. Walsh's balls. I really didn't want to be here mainly because I didn't want to see Mr. Denton and Cecelia together.

But here is Mr. Denton asking to join me and of course, sweet little me had to tell him yes.

"Where is Cecelia?" I asked bitterly.

"With her friends," he answered unbothered then asked a little bitterly, "and where is Dr Reeve?"

I shrugged, "I do not know, I do not think that I saw him tonight"

"Are you better today?" He asked and I think that he was actually worried.

"Yes, sorry about the other day, I was a little tired"

He held my hands, "what is important is that you are fine, now"

I looked at his smiling face and a smile sneaked to my lips.

"That reminds me of our first acquaintance," he said after he removed his hands.

I chuckled, "that is because this was our first acquaintance"

He smirked and said, "Have you changed since then, my half lady?"

He still remembers.

I smiled, "I am afraid to say I did, yes"

He frowned a little, "and how is that?"

"When you first met me I was untroubled and a little insensitive, I knew no one and no one knew me"

He frowned, "And now?"

"Now, I know you and Dr Reeve. You changed me, Mr Denton. I can't tell you how or why but you did. And Dr Reeve is just Dr Reeve, a man that made me see the world in another way. I think since I met you, Mr Denton, I discovered things that I didn't know about myself, feelings that I never knew that I could have"

Suddenly, he came close to me and held my hands, "my dear Miss Abbot, let me tell you that everything will change, everything"

I frowned, "what... What do you mean?"

"You will see, after a few minutes you will see," he then kissed my hands and left.

I was so confused, what does it all mean? What will change? And how? Why did he kiss my hands? Now that I remember, Mrs Walsh was looking at me with sadness in her eyes and now that I am thinking about it, I think she has been avoiding me all night. What is all of this about?

All of my questions were answered when I heard my father's voice, "excuse me, excuse me"

Everyone fell silent and looked at him; I walked closer in order to see clearly. On the stairs, ahead of us was my father, Edward, Cecelia and Mrs Walsh who had a sad and horrified look on her face. She was searching the crowd but once she saw my face, she quickly looked away.

What is going on?

"I am happy to tell you," My father continued, "that Mr. Edward Denton is engaged to be married to my daughter, Cecelia Abbot"

The two lovebirds held hands, everyone was cheering, laughing and clapping. And there was little me, trembling and astonished. I suddenly felt it hard to breathe so I left the whole place. With all the excitement, no one noticed the door opening. I finally reached the stairs and burst into tears. A lot of tears fell from my eyes but only a little unhearable moan came out of my mouth. I calmed down after a few minutes and started taking deep breaths.

I shouldn't be surprised, I should have known. It was obvious, it was right in front of my eyes. I saw them kissing for God's sake. How did I still have hope? How did I hope that it could magically change? It didn't change anyway and now, he is engaged to my sister and I am crying on the stairs.