11) Farewells & Agony

I went to sleep or I tried. I thought about Charles a lot but then the bad memories came back. Edward and Cecelia engaged, Vincent and her, Bernard is my brother. I continued thinking till I reached a drastic conclusion. The love that Bernard has for Daphne, it is not brother to sister. It is lover to lover. He doesn't know it of course because she is his sister. But now, they could be together.

What will I do about that secret? Should I keep it? Should I tell them? I don't know.

Father and she checked up on me of course. I must have scared them, leaving like this. I played asleep every time that I felt the door open. Father checked up on me only once but she, she checked up every hour or something. She was expecting me to be awake, I was but I won't talk to her.

While I was dressing for breakfast, she came.

"Good morning, dear," she said with a smile.

I didn't answer.

"Did you sleep well?"

"Don't act as if you care," I said angrily, "just beg and leave"

"I was young, Amelia. Young and stupid," she said desperately.

"So should I do it too?" I asked looking at her, "Should I go and have a baby with some man then go and marry another? Then I will leave my child with Cecelia to take care of, what do you think about that?"

I felt a weight on my cheek then a burning feeling. She slapped me.

"I won't accept that language from you, young lady," she said pointing a finger at me.

"The only reason why I am not going to tell papa is that I don't want to hurt him but if you have any kind of self-respect, you better tell him," I said with anger.

I passed her and went to the door when she said, "I will tell him, today before we leave"

I frowned, "Leave?"

"We are going to London. He has some business to do and I am going with him. I will tell him before we go"

"Good," then I left the room. For some reason, my heart ached from that information.

I went downstairs to the dining table, "good morning, papa," I said as I kissed him, "good morning, everyone," I said as I sat down next to Cecelia.

"Where did you go last night?" Papa said looking at me with worry in his eyes.

I forced a smile, "I wasn't feeling well. So I came here to rest"

"Where you there when papa announced my engagement?" Cecelia said showing me her engagement ring.

You are the least of my troubles, now.

I forced another smile, "yes, congratulations"

She came down then we started breakfast. It was a quiet one except for few comments by father or Cecelia. The first breakfast that I don't hear her voice in.

After breakfast, the bell rang; it was Meg, Mr Denton and Charles.

"Good that we saw you before you leave," Meg said with a smile.

She smiled, "thank you for coming, Mrs. Walsh" then she looked at father, "dear, can we go to our room? I need you for something"

My father frowned but accepted and they were gone.

"Congratulations on your engagement, Mr Denton," I said hiding my pain.

He flashed me a smile. Oh that smile, "thank you. I think that you should call me Edward from now on"