Chapter 34: Deputy Evans

"You're not supposed to be out, ma'am," Deputy Evans told her, keeping her flashlight shining in her face.

"Yep," Natalie said, short and sweet. Her leg was bouncing in and out of the light; she couldn't make it stop.

Deputy Evans leaned in, trying to inspect the inside of her car. If she tilted the flashlight just right, it would expose the gun in her floorboard.

Natalie didn't look up; her eyes were glued on the road where she wanted to keep going. She wanted to keep running, but she couldn't. Maybe Deputy Evans saved her life that night, or maybe someone else's...

After Evans took her license back to the patrol car, she ran it through the identification system. When her face popped on the screen, she remembered it. She remembered the nasty scene sitting right beside the steps to the front porch. Jasper was killed at this girl's house.

Was Natalie this upset that she was running? Was she trying to get away?

Or was the fact that the death happened at her house more than a coincidence?

That night, Deputy Evans had something else on her mind... she came back to Natalie's car and made a choice.

"I remember you, Natalie. I'm really sorry. But, this isn't safe and there isn't an excuse..." Deputy Evans handed the driver's license back through the window. "I'm going to escort you home. Okay?"

"Thank you," Natalie cried.

-----

"Yes, ma'am. She can't run out and do what she wants. It's curfew," Deputy Evans told Natalie's mom.

"She's really struggling... and we're looking for a new house. We can't be here. It's horrible. We can't even walk through the front door..." Pam, Natalie's mom, took her glasses off and placed them on the counter. "I don't know what to do..."

"Be there for her," Deputy Evans turned toward the door. The ring of keys on her hip dangled in the silence. She stopped at the door, "I have to go, but she's a good kid. Don't let her lose it..."

"I'm afraid," Pam whispered.

"We all are..." Deputy Evans said. She reached for the door handle and turned the knob.

-----

"Thank you for being here for me," Deputy Evans told Sheriff Mullins. They were sitting on her front porch swing. The few chirping birds were starting to come out as the pink, orange sunrise was coming up over the hill.

"You don't have to thank me," he reached up and placed his arm around her. "I want to be here, Marie."

"That's Deputy Evans to you, sir," she chuckled.

"Hey! I'm the sheriff here!" he smiled.

For a moment, everything was in the back of their minds. RED didn't exist. Jasper, Genni, and the boy in the parking lot were still alive. They forgot about all the horrible things that had been happening in Fayetteville...

Deputy Evans turned from the sunrise and towards the sheriff. Their eyes met... and then closed. Their lips touched, transferring their warmth on the cold morning.

Deputy Marie Evans pulled away, "Is this wrong?" she asked.

"I don't care," he told her as he leaned in for another kiss.

***Author's note: Did you expect Deputy Evans and Sheriff Mullins to become romantically involved? How will this change what's going on? Could RED be one of them?

**If you liked this chapter, please hit the star to vote. It would really help me out. Also, comment your thoughts! I respond to all!