Chapter 15

Much like the time I punched Dustin, Donovan's hit didn't do much. It stunned the Vice for sure, but pain wasn't the main focus of this assault. It was meaning behind such a hit that had the entire Tribe waiting in fearful anticipation.

    Dustin saw the punch coming, he was too good of a fighter not to. He could have dodged easily, just like he did before with Oliver, but he chose not to. He took the hit because it was Donovan administering it, a sign of respect towards the leader. While it was a valiant display of honor, there was already a welt growing over Dustin's cheek and jawline. And that had everyone on edge.

    His teeth clenched and the darkness returned to his scowl, "What have I done this time?"

    Donovan grabbed Dustin by the hair, wrenching his head roughly to the side, "Don't ever talk back to a superior. I thought I taught you better."

    "He's a scoundrel. Rosen knew Oliver didn't stand a chance. This fight wasn't a way to get even, it was an excuse to watch me destroy the poor guy." Dustin argued, ripping his head from Donovan's grasp, "Rosen had no other motive besides his own."

    He had a point. From what I've heard, Dustin's reputation stretched far and wide. Rosen would have known that, Oliver had to know it too. Yet he still went into the fight because his leader requested it of him. Because he was expected to be condemned for his actions.

    "I love a good fight, you know that I do. But that wasn't a fight, that was a beating." Dustin growled, looking Donovan straight in the eye. He held no fear of the leader though the rest of the compound stood by nervously. This must not be the first time the Vice and the leader have disagreed.

    Before Donovan could reply, someone else stepped forward. It was Mark, and he was angry.

    "Oliver deserved it. About damn time the guy got his what's coming to him." The pure hatred behind Mark's words sat heavily in my gut, "Who cares if he went into it knowing what was coming? Who cares if Rosen set him up to lose? You're job is to follow orders and fight, not to care about the opponent."

    I pulled on the back of Lumiere's shirt to get his attention. When he glanced back at me, I whispered, "Why is Mark so upset?"

    Lumiere bowed his head towards me, "Oliver killed Mark's brother a while back but there wasn't enough evidence for Rosen or Donovan to conclude that it was Oliver, so he got off without being punished. Mark has never gotten over it."

    If I were in Mark's position, I'd want to see Oliver pay as well. Just the thought of someone hurting Toby brought on anger. Maybe Oliver truly did get what he deserved.

    Did it make me a bad person to agree?

    Dustin shook his head, "Your personal vendetta against Oliver does not involve me, Mark. If you want to beat the shit out of him, be my guest, but I won't be used to do so. My job is to protect our people, not to be thrown into such petty matters."

    Mark was disgusted, "You're siding with a Reaper?"

    "I'm not siding with anyone." Dustin fired back.

    Donovan seemed to suddenly realize their audience. He waved his hand aggressively through the air, "Why don't you all find something better to do." With his words came movement. The circle dispersed, leaving only a few of us still standing there. Corinth and Eli stood behind Dustin, Mark remained where he was next to Donovan, and I took great pleasure in being able to hide behind Lumiere's tall figure.

    Once the crowd was gone, Donovan continued, "That's the problem kid, you should be siding with the Tribe. Without question. Unwavering loyalty is what it takes to be a leader and as the Vice to this gang, that's what is expected of you."