Together Atlast: Chapter 9

McKenzie's POV

I walk into the my mothers room, kneeling next her bed as I take in the view of all the cords and wires. Everything was silent except the beeping coming from the machine that was showing she's still in fact breathing. But who knows for how long.

"Hey mom"

I whisper in a slightly hoares voice, blinking away the tears that were threatening to spill out any minute.

"Can you hear me?"

She said nothing. Just stayed there lifeless as though she wasn't alive. Her warm toned skin had dramatically paled since the incident.

"Mom, what do I do? You always know how to fix a problem but you're not here right now. I'm losing hope, how do I fix this?"

I get nothing in response which was expected. But I refused to stop talking in hope she would wake up and answer me like she always did.

"I love them, I don't want to lose them"

Its been a week since the argument between us. At college we would take a glance at each other and just walk past like we didn't used to be the best of friends. Kriss and I exchange a few words from time to time.

But with Kyle, we haven't talked since then and I really miss him. Yes, I was pissed, emotional, frustrated that day and didn't want to talk to anybody. But after while, I realized I couldn't make it without them. This was the time I needed them the most instead of pushing them away.

"Mom, help me please?"

I gently place her hand into mine, laying my head on her forearm.

"You can't leave me here mom. Are you listening? You can't give up now, ok?"

Lifting my head, I place a free hand on her cheek as tears filled my eyes. That's when I felt something softly grip my fingers. Immediately shooting my head towards my hand, I see that it was my mom. After slowly sitting up, I wipe my eyes furiously to see if I was going crazy or something.

"Mom?"

The machine starts to beep like crazy and her grip loosens off of my hand. Doctors start coming in as they move and rotate frantically around the room.

"H-hey what's wrong?"

"I'm gonna need you to leave ma'am, NOW!"

"But-"

I was suddenly pushed out the doors that had shut immediately after. And now, I sit outside the room waiting to hear what the situation was with my mom. Pulling out my phone, I dial Kriss's number. It was hell just sitting here alone and he was the one person I was at least on decent terms with.

Our lines connected and dissconected soon after he said he'd be Here asap. I decided to shoot Jake a text, knowing he would want to hear about what happened and maybe him and Kriss could make up. I just hope it works. After waiting for a good 20 minutes I heard my name being called.

"Kenzie"

"Hey Kriss"

He sits down with a wry smile decorating his face. We share a long hug before finally releasing one another.

"Kriss, you look like shit"

I say with humor laced in my voice as we both fall into a fit of giggles.

"And you look any better?"

That just makes us laugh harder. Something I know neither of us have done in quite a while. And I'd have to admit, it felt refreshing. We were interrupted by someone clearing their throat. Looking up, Jake comes into view looking like one stressed about out puppy. Big puppy.