Til Death Do Us Part

I lay there, barely breathing, but nothing happens. Opening the trunk, I cautiously ease my wobbly legs onto the ground. It's pitch dark and quiet. I don't see anyone. My kidnapper's disappeared. Standing up, I try to get my bearings in the darkness. Muffled curses, followed by screams coming from the forested section of the cemetery tear through the silence. Someone's being attacked in the park! Struggling not to trip, I move towards the frightening noises. I can see enough to make out the lumpy shapes of tombstones, surrounding the yawning trench that was meant to be my grave.

Just then, a flickering beam of a flashlight cuts through the inky night. I want to run as fast as I can in the opposite direction, but for some reason I'm drawn to this light, like a moth is to a flame. As I move closer to the noises, I hear a man's frantic cries, "Get away from me!"

Arriving closer to the shouting, I nearly stumble into another freshly dug grave. Who was this second death pit meant for? Breathlessly peering over the edge, I'm shocked to see Harlan stuck at the bottom of the hole. Insane with fear, he's frantically clawing at the grave's sides, pulling earth on top of himself as he tries to climb out. "Keep it away from me!" He keeps screaming.

Behind me, I feel an unearthly cold chill. Without turning around, I say her name out loud. "Donna?"

Spinning around, I see her face

Spinning around, I see her face. She looks horrific. Her specter's form is bloody and mangled, while her eyes are a demonic red. Without a word she jumps into the grave and starts clawing at Harlan's face.

"Stop!" I shout, but I know it's useless. Donna's become a horrific spirit. She's so enraged at being run down in her prime, her fury knows no bounds. She wants to kill Harlan. I hear Harlan whimpering, backing away from her in the earthen pit. The light I saw in the distance is now in front of me. Suddenly, I'm blinded by it. I hear a gunshot crack through the night, followed by silence. The light moves like a strobe light, illuminating the shooter's face. "Julia?" I whisper. She stares into the gaping hole, then moves the shining light onto Harlan's still form.

"Stay away from my granddaughter you ugly son of a bitch!" I've never seen her so cold blooded as she angrily spits on the grave dirt covering Harlan.

I hear more footsteps as officer Cruise arrives, gun drawn, to stand next to Julia. Dylan's not far behind him. Hobbling on crutches, he calls my name. It's all too much for me. Feeling my head start to spin, I pass out.

 Feeling my head start to spin, I pass out

Thank you for reading! 👻