The Expedition

"But why do I  have to go!", Kaurvaki exclaimed. "We have the festival to worry about".

"The festival isn't until a LONG time Kaurvaki", her father said crossing his arms together. "Besides, I thought you would want to help with the pearl-hunting".

Kaurvaki brightened, "Really!?"

Her father laughed and patted her, "Come, daughter".

It was true that they didn't have practice today, and Kaurvaki barely got a chance to go pearl hunting, but she had swum under the sea enough that her father found her capable.

Pearl hunting was mainly done if there were any specific orders, or in this case, it was nearing festival time on a long-term view.

The other fishermen greeted her.

"Kaurvaki!"

"Hello Uncle", she greeted them. 

"Kaurvaki?" Meena looked at her with a bit of disappointment. She held her head high. "What are you doing here?"

Kaurvaki had gotten to see less of Meena, and she saw that their supposed chance of friendship had diminished.

so much for that

"I'm helping with the pearl hunting", she stated cocking her head a little.

Meena smirked, "Hmm, aren't you supposed to be preparing right now"

"I am", she replied frowning.

Meena rolled her eyes, "No, I meant for the play"

Kaurvaki stared at her, "Ya...but pearl-hunting is just as important, ESPECIALLY if you want to wear some yourself for the festival."

Meena's eyes widened until they returned back to a squinting gaze. "Well, I'm going too!"

"What?!" Her father stared at her horrified.

"Oh come on Baba! Kaurvaki gets to go!"

"Meena Beti, Kaurvaki has been experienced enough at sea".

Kaurvaki smiled. She realized the other girls spent more time on the shore with their mother's while her father normally liked to keep her with him, thus she would normally join the expeditions at times.

Meena's expression seemed to drop. She wasn't one to disobey her father, "Ok".

"Hey, maybe I can bring you anything jewelry worth back."

She looked at her strangely.

"What"

"That's a first, Kaurvaki willing to give her precious shells away".

"Well, after I accidentally took your shells"

She scoffed, "Accidentally!"

Kaurvaki sighed, "Ok look, do you want me to find something or not?"

Meena smirked, "Alright seaweed hair." Suddenly her smile faltered.

Kuarvaki turned to see some small excited commotion. The men were pretty cheery and more clustered.

She glanced at Meena and couldn't quite read her expression. She turned back and saw the men patting someone and encouraging them for this expedition. "Is that..."

Meena nodded.

"Wait, but why are they letting a newcomer in the expedition?"

"He's...different."

"Ok then...", Kaurvaki said unsurely.

"Also", Meena added, "He has the built and skills enough to join in quickly".

The crowd had started to settle again, Meena's father was talking to him who was turned away from them. 

She realized the person wasn't a middle-aged man but quite young, with a well-built figure. "Oh..." She shrugged and turned back to Meena who didn't seem to notice. "Meena. Meena!"

"What!", she snapped looking clearly annoyed.

"I got to go, but is there anything particular needed"

"I don't care" She must've seen the surprise on Kaurvaki's face because she hesitated and gave her a thorough explanation for what was needed.

Kaurvaki nodded, and they exchanged brief farewells before she boarded the medium sized boat.