Chapter 21

Grace sat on the passenger side of a truck Klaus drove, while she stared right out of the window with a cold expression. Rebekah sat beside them and just couldn't shut up. It made a huge pain form in Grace's head, but she didn't let them get a glimpse at her emotions for now. She needed to be more careful with what she showed them or not, because she was in a pretty tricky situation. The young vampire had no idea where they were going and judging by how she knew Klaus, he wouldn't spill the beans. 

"Oh come on, Gracie, I know this look. Don't play emotionless, it doesn't suit you." 

He interrupted his sister mid sentence, implying that he hadn't listened to any word she said. Maybe he was as annoyed by her chatty nature as Grace was. 

"Maybe I'll show you some warmth if you tell me where the hell we're going." 

Grace said without sparing a look at him. She tried to distracted herself by watching the nature flying by as they drove, but her mind had particularly changed since she was a vampire. Her brain seemed to have developed many more cells, because she could concentrate on so many things now. Her mind was always racing, calculating, sensing, feeling everything around her. It was exhausting but still it was unbelievable how much vampirism extended her brain function. 

"You'll know when you see it." 

Klaus smirked to which Grace only rolled her eyes. Him playing mysterious was so damn ridiculous.

"At some point you'll have to tell me your story, Grace. I still can't really understood why you're so important." 

Rebekah chirped in with a frown on her face, obviously annoyed by the fact that the attention shifted away from her. Her rude straight-forwardness made Grace chuckle, because she knew that the Original was honestly wondering about that and not meaning it as an insult. 

"That's pretty easy. I was a normal college girl until your particularly handsome brother came into town and charmed his way into me to get to my sister, who I found is...or was...the doppelgänger. Then your less handsome brother came here, too, killed me and my sister on a blood altar and stabbed Elijah right in front of me. Afterwards he threatened me and Stefan to find him some bloody dogs. And now I'm here with you." 

The blonde laughed slightly and nudged Klaus who threw Grace a grim look. He sighed and drove into an empty and abandoned looking parking lot in the middle of nowhere. Rebekah and Grace walked some steps to stretch their limbs, while Klaus opened the back of the truck to reveal a still knocked out Stefan in the middle of four coffins. 

A shiver ran down her spine when she noticed how close to Elijah she had been all the time. She crossed her arms in front of her chest as she watched how the hybrid broke the vampire's neck again.

"Is this really necessary?" 

Klaus looked up to her with a smirk on his face. Grace jumped into the truck in one swift motion, her eyes fixed on the coffin that stood in the front. She knew that Elijah was in this one, she felt so drawn to open it. There was this special connection between them that never seemed to fade.

"That's what happens to people that betray me. He's lucky that I still need him. Usually I would've ripped his heart out immediately." 

The hybrid spoke, but Grace didn't listen. She knelt in front of the coffin and carefully opened its lid. Klaus watched her warily, but granted her this moment. 

She simply needed to see him, having no clue how to survive another second if she didn't have a remembrance for what she kept her humanity. He looked so peaceful, except for the sickly grey skin. His eyes were closed and the memory of how he looked at her lovingly crossed her mind and made her shiver. She missed him so much. He would've known what to do, as Klaus was so close to figuring out that Elena was still alive.