11

June 5, 1987

E.

I decided against telling the others about the leper and the clown. It wasn't unusual for me to see weird things when I'm late at taking my pills. Yet even though I knew it was all in my head, I couldn't help but feel absolutely terrified.

I rolled out of bed the next morning feeling like shit and I dreaded the idea of breakfast but I'd promised Bill I'd meet up with him. I looked across the room, to Richie's bed and he was still fast asleep. I didn't want to wake him so I left the cabin without another word.

Once in the cafeteria, I was surprised to see Stan and Bill already seated, laughing with each other. A few feet away, I noticed Beverly and Elle walking over to join them. I sighed, so much for time alone with my best friend. I got my breakfast and walked to their table.

"H-hey, Ed-Eddie." Bill smiled widely, clearing a seat for me next to him. To my dismay, Beverly took it instead.

I sat across from Bill, with Stan sitting next to me and Elle sitting across from him. Moments later, Ben and Mike came to sit as well and I took a double take. Since when do Bill and I have friends?

"Hey, Ed. Where's Richie?" Mike asked. I shrugged, just because I'm fake dating him doesn't mean I have to be friends with his friends. Though, I believed in safety in numbers so I decided it best to keep them around if I wanted to avoid trouble with Henry and his gang.

The group was talking about some game they wanted to play at the quarry later, but I tuned out. I looked around the room, chills running down my spine at all the kids that surrounded us. I stopped when I saw a tall shadow near the exit.

"-that. Right, Eddie?" Bev asked me. I ignored her, staring across the room. The shadow was gone. Seconds passed and I felt a weight pressed against my side, I turned to see Richie sitting next to me, picking at the apple slices on my plate.

"What are you doing? Get your own food."

Richie snickered,reaching for my juice as well. I watched Elle staring at him and rolled my eyes. How did this being gay even work for her.

"Stop touching my food, Tozier." I whined.

"But babe," I froze. Not at his words but at the red balloon floating across the room. I felt my heart drop, recognizing it as one of the many balloons the clown had been carrying. I jumped out of my seat, not sparing a glance at anyone before running out of the room.

It reminded me of the balloon my father had given me when I was still being potty trained. He passed when I was so young, the only significant piece of his memory is the pet cat he left behind. She had no fur, mom said it'd disrupt my breathing. Yet even my cat died a year later. I trembled at the thought of it. Her death brought up so much pain, I'd been able to mask after my father's death.

This isn't happening. This isn't real. It's a balloon. Just a balloon. I repeated this to myself as I ran, inhaler in hand until I was safely locked behind my cabin door.

I hid under my blanket, tearfully repeating those words until I fell asleep.

I was woken up by a familiar face. Richie looked concerned, almost. I begged him to leave, covering my face. I couldn't take my mind off the events of the day before.

I just wanted to be alone.

➳ ➳ ➳

this one is short but I'm saving the rest for Richie's POV bc I wanna write more Reddie cuteness :)

kat 9/24/17       @ 3:58 pm