12

June 5, 1987

R.

I wake to an empty cabin and the early-morning sun peeking in from the windows. Rubbing at my eyes, I think of where Eddie might be. Must've gone to breakfast early. He seems the type. I rolled my eyes.

I left the cabin with a smile on my face, trudging to the cafeteria, hoping to see Elle. Surprisingly, she's sitting with Eddie. In fact, everyone is sitting at the same table. Eddie, Elle, Mike, Ben, Bev, Big Bill and Stan the Man. I immediately sit in the empty spot next to Eddie, stealing food off his plate.

He got angry, zoning out then telling me to stop.

"But babe-" I dragged out, unsure of whether or not it was okay to call him that. It seemed to make Elle smile so it worked it's purpose. Out of nowhere, Eddie got up and ran out of the room. I frowned, was it because of what I said?

I turned back to the table and they all continued talking though I couldn't stop thinking about Eddie and what could've made him leave so suddenly. Half an hour later, Stan told the group to meet at the quarry. I ignored him, speed-walking to my cabin to check on Eddie.

I took the stairs two steps at a time, fidgeting with the door handle. I pressed the flat of my hand to the wood and took in my surroundings. A bag was slung across the floor, in what looked to be simple negligence. A few pillows were skattered, a blanket was wrinkled and hanging off the side of his bed. The curtains were drawn, only a slither of light escaped. I saw a figure hidden under a pile of blankets, sniffles sounding every few seconds.

"Eddie?" I almost didn't know what to say. I shook him a bit. I couldn't quite piece together what was going on.

"Please leave me alone," He choked out. I frowned, taking a seat on my own bed. I took another look around the room, eyes wandering to the ceiling, trying to form words in my mouth. I didn't want to leave him, I had no idea why, I just couldn't. Something wouldn't let me, knew he needed someone.

"Are, are you alright?" I spoke slowly feeling unsure of myself and what the hell I was trying to do.  I watched him shift beneath his duvet, sniffles still escaping him.

"I'm fine, Ri-" he tried lying but his own sobbing cut him off. That was enough for my to step across the room, kneeling beside his bed to pull the covers away. He whined, tugging them over his face. I was stronger, though. We both knew that. I tore the blanket from his reach and his hands were quick to cover his face.

"You asshole," He said weakly, like he didn't have enough energy to even mean it. I pursed my lips and loosened my grip on the soft fabric.

"Dude, what's wrong?" his right hand left his face, only to wipe his nose with the back of his sleeve. I wasn't in the right mind to be grossed out by it, though. I waited for him to speak up again.

"M-Molly," he cried, sobs shaking his entire body. I reached over, patting his back slowly on impulse.

"Who's Molly?" I was confused. He for sure hasn't had a girlfriend so who is she?

"She's my," finally he revealed his face. Wet face, red and puffy eyes, pink nose to match his lips.  "Was my." He cries again. I nodded my head, rubbing his shoulder.

He sits up, finally, "She was my cat," I open my mouth at that, shocked. And, oh. The sad realization hits and its so much worse than a break-up. That's it then, I have to help.

"I had a hamster," I get a sort of sour look on my face, trying to veil any emotions I might be giving off. He needs this but he doesn't need it all. He's still tearing up but I watch him try to focus on what I'm saying, in the corner of my eye.

"His name was Rod,  short for Rodimus Prime," I heard Eddie cackle from his spot on the bed. At least he's not crying. "An-"

"Wait, wait," Eddie was struggling to control his laughter at this point. "You mean to tell me," he paused to laugh some more, and ouch. I shove him on the shoulder a bit. "I'm sorry, sorry, It's just. You mean to tell me that you named your pet hamster after a robot from a cartoon?" And okay, he did not just say that.

"It wasn't just a cartoon, Kaspbrak. The Transformers was a brilliant creation, I watched it every night." I crossed my arms. "Now do you want to hear my story or not?"

He nodded, covering his mouth with his hand and I rolled my eyes before continuing. "Anyway, Rod and I did everything together. He'd chew on all of my bad report cards and sit on my head every Sunday morning while I ate cereal on the couch. He used to run on his wheel while I sang in the shower. He was my best friend." I turn towards Eddie and he does something I didn't even consider.

He stretched out his arm, pulling me close by my shoulder until we were chest to chest. His arms slid across my back and he sighed. He sighed like it was the only appropriate thing to do. Like he wouldn't have been at peace otherwise.

"Thank you." I heard him say.   I returned the hug and I'd be lying if I said I didn't sigh too.

➳ ➳ ➳

ahh FOOK this is so cute im crying why do i like my own shit so much how cringe smh

-kat 9/25/17   @ 10:10 am