31

Alex

The kitchen smells like bacon when I walk in, and i'm greeted with the sight of Yasmin standing at the frying pan, and Val and Marco sitting at the table doing Marco's homework.

"Hey," I kiss the side of Yasmin's head, smiling,  and she gives me a weird look.

"You're in a good mood. Did I miss something?"

"Nope." I walk to the table and mess up Marco's hair, looking down at the algebra problems he's doing.

"Stop, i'm concentrating."

"The only thing you're concentrating on is bacon," Val corrects. "We've been doin' this fuckin' same question for ten minutes."

"You're a bad teacher, that's why."

"I'm the best teacher there is. Now fuckin' do it before I shove this pencil down your throat."

"Just give him the answers." I take the bit of bacon from the plate as soon as Yasmin sets it on it.

"Yeah, do that," Marco nods in agreement.

"No. I will not let my brother grow up to be an idiot and get held back years. That'd be fuckin' embarrassing and I don't want to have to disown you."

"I already disowned you years ago. When people ask if we're related I pretend not to know who you are."

"You should be fuckin' proud that I'm your bro. I'm like the coolest person ever."

"Everyone says you're a prostitute."

Val's eyes widen and he looks at me, beginning to laugh. Yasmin turns around with her mouth open in shock and I just stand there enjoying bacon.

"Let's get back to algebra," Val shakes his head, looking down at the paper.

"How to middle school kids even know about you?" I ask. "Please don't tell me you've-"

"I said we're getting back to algebra!" He interrupts and I share a disgusted look with Yasmin.

Santiago walks in wearing a jacket and holding his keys. "Goin' to see Dad. You comin'?" He looks at everyone but me. Mom's started letting  us see him since she found out he was forced to do what he did, but Ray and I are the only ones who haven't seen him yet since the hospital. I don't particularly know why, it's just hard for me to be around him and feel normal. It feels too different and strange, like he's a different person but I know he's not.

"Yeah," Marco says eagerly and Val shakes his head at him. "Yasmin bring bacon for the way."

"Not even gonna ask me?" I joke, even though I usually just avoid the subject all together.

"Nope. I plan on talking shit about you to Dad, so if you don't want to hear what I have to say, it's best you don't come."

"Good luck telling him you're addicted to-"

"Guys," Yasmin interrupts and looks at Marco. "Mar, go put shoes on." I feel Santiago staring at me while I watch Marco get up and take the plate of bacon out the door.

"Also, you can tell him you're addicted to smoking," I say. "Make sure and tell him you'll probably be dead by the time he's out of jail."

"That wouldn't be so bad if it means I don't need to see you anymore."

"Stop!" Yasmin looks at him with horror.