Chapter 13: Cats and dogs fight

Handball is my life. I simply cannot wait to get out of school and run to my handball practice everyday. I loved my team to the core and usually we all got along pretty well. Of course there were sometimes when pressure got the best of us, and those were the moments when coaches and players got their claws out sharply. We've always been able to work out our differences, but there was this one time where I thought my future in the team was over.

It was Saturday. We had been training hard all week long to give our best in the first game of the season. The other team was good, but we were now proudly four times champions of the regional league, and we'd be five times champions this year. We all wanted it, especially our coaches that pushed more and more to get even better. I didn't mind the pressure, it made me play even better than usual. But some others simply couldn't handle it, and that's when everything went south.

Darlena and Heide are not only sisters, they're twins. To sum up, if you mess with one of them you mess with them both. I personally had never had a fight with any of my teammates, only Valerie when we had that awful fight that almost broke us apart. Other than that everyone pretty much liked me, but that morning during the game Darlena was simply not focused. I usually do not reprimand my teammates, it's not like I'm the captain. But that day Darlena was simply asking for it.

"Dee, over here" I shouted for the fifth time that day as I ran into the circle but she completely ignored me and tried to give the ball to Valerie, who had three players blocking her. Needless to say we lost the ball and they scored. I was getting frustrated with the situation very quickly, so I decided to just talk to her in the half time.

"Dee listen. They're not blocking me. Lift your head before you pass the ball, alright?" I said trying to be the least hostile I could. I didn't want to be rude, I just wanted her to listen to me. If her scoff was anything to go by, I predicted I was about to be completely ignored. And so I was.

During the other half I decided to take the matter into my own hands. I tried to steal the ball as much as I could and score. I made two or three more points when I saw by the corner of my eye Darlena was anything but happy at me. I shrugged it off though. It's not like it was my fault.

"Come on Jessica, it's a team sport. Look for your teammates" I heard Nick shout for the fifth time and in my desperation I tried to give Darlena the ball but the pass was intercepted by the other team.

The other team was shortening the difference, and if we kept this up we were definitely gonna lose. I did my best to keep my mind clear but the situation was just drowning me. I didn't feel like myself anymore, not with Darlena and Nick pissing me off all the time.

After a few minutes I saw Nick making signs for me to go the bench. At first I was a little bit surprised. Nick never ever benched me, and I hadn't done anything bad. Valerie patted my back, mumbling something of me getting a rest so I obeyed and went to sit down. I figured maybe Nick wanted to give me a few minutes to rest and then he'd put me back. After almost ten minutes passed and he didn't do such a thing, I got up to stand by his side.

"Nick, can I go back in?" I said to the man that had his eyes posed intensely on the game going on.

"Have you cleared your head? Because I don't know what the hell was that in there" he barked at me roughly, which completely took me aback given the fact I hadn't done anything.

"What do you mean? Darlena..." I tried to explain being that Nick had missed how rude my teammate had been towards me with no explanation.

"Sit. I don't have time right now" he stated coldly and I felt slightly hurt by his attitude. Still I went to sit down, being that I didn't have much of a choice.