Chapter 4

I kept stretching my back. Just sitting here so Gloria asked me if I needed her to move because she was next to me in the booth so I was trapped next to the window, but I declined. I figured once I got up, I wouldn't want to sit down again. I would get spoiled right away. Don't ask why or how. It was now just a habit. Once I knew I was sitting down a long time, I didn't even want to stand up until I could stand up for good. It'll just make my back sore from sitting and rising over and over.

Reaching back, placing my hands on my lower back, I arched it back and grunt-sighed in relief. Gloria noticed and looked at me.

She asked, "Is your back okay?"

I nodded and massaged my lower back. "Yeah," I answered. "It's giving me a little bit of trouble right now though."

"From what happened at the last house?" Her voice sounded apologetic. And she always did every time this conversation was brought up. I knew she blamed herself deeply. She even tried to make me report her, but I said "NO!". Once in a while, she would mutter to herself on how she could let that happen to me. And I still wasn't use to it.

I sucked in my breath and exhaled. I probably wasn't telling you everything, folks when I told you about the last family I was with; the Beggars. Yeah, that family. I did tell you about the drugs and probably the drinking and the abuse they tried to put on me, because I wasn't fitting in.

I hated drugs from the moment I was old enough to know what they were and yes, I was four, so...

With that being said, anyway, here's the whole trouble behind the Beggars. (Their last name suited them well.) At first, I didn't know what was going on. It took me until the forth day... Now it wasn't bad as the description seemed, but...it was enough to get me the hell out.

Once Gloria dropped me off at the place, I knew the place was torture. I didn't get a chance to run after Gloria and tell her Hell no because she was already gone. Gloria didn't even take a second look because the house looked steady abd clean but when it came hours later, it changed. Anyway, the first night was hell. I fell asleep on my so called bed and woke up slowly to unwelcome hands wondering over my legs and chest. I remember crying out and slapping the person's hands away.

Then I heard shushing and whispers telling me It's okay, it's okay. I froze when I realized it was a man's voice. I didn't know what to to, I didn't know how to react. I just cried as I felt his hands grope my tiny breast. (Which I'm so glad they are, by the way) He tried to lower his hands and that's when I was snapped out of the terror. I slapped him across the face and kicked him out my shacky room.

The next day, I tried to tell myself it was all a dream. That I yuckingly fantasized it all. That I felt my own hands touching me because I was feeling lonely and desperately wanted touch. I rolled my eyes and hit myself for thinking that, but it strangely got me through that day so I didn't call Gloria. But it didn't help keep me from thinking about it.

That night, I kept myself up. I was afraid to go into that shack called my room. So I stayed up until 7 in the morning cleaning up the house. I swept, vacuumed, wiped, and did everything that made the house look clean. By the time I was finished, I showered, got ready for school. I remember walking down the hallway of the house and peeking in everyone's room. Nobody was up.

Inside the Beggar's bedroom, they were sound asleep, they looked dead and they were naked. I didn't look around inside the room because the door was a jarred. What I didn't get to see or notice was the empty beer cans and bottled over floor, dressers and even the bed. I also didn't get to see the white powder, lighters, spoons and needles.

I kept on walking and peeked inside the second room, the oldest son was sound asleep as well and looked so pale, he looked dead like his parents, but much worse. I remember starting to breathe heavily because I thought he was dead. When I almost crashed into his room to make sure, I heard him groan and his leg had twitched. I cursed under my breath and exhaled deeply. He had scared me.