|12|

Her heart was made 

of liquid sunsets 

***

I smooth out my dress.

My hands are shaking.

I don't like it.

Shaking hands cause the painting to come out bad.

Sometimes it works to your advantage and you create something you didn't mean to, but most of the time, it leads to wasted canvas and paint.

I don't like it.

I fold them in my lap, trying desperately to take deep breaths.

And then I smell him.

I can't quite put my finger upon what he smells like.

A mixture of pine wood and honey.

Beautiful.

Intoxicating.

Without even realizing it, my body naturally leans towards the door, a small humming forming in my chest.

The sound is picked up on by the Alpha and Luna. They both straighten up in their chairs, nodding to each other right as the door swings open.

And there he stands.

A girl is behind him.

She is equally as beautiful as the dark storm that stands before me.

A small pain invades my chest as I take in her light brown hair that is pulled back. Her muscled arms and toned legs. She is a warrior. It is obvious for all to tell- from the scars she wears proudly upon her skin, to the gleam within her eyes.

She is a warrior.

She is what I should have been.

What I chose to ignore.

And now it was coming back to bite me as the mirror reflected back. Reflected back to show my own self.

And the paint splattered hands I was so ashamed of.

He walks in, sitting across from us as the woman sits next to him on his right.

"My beta, Lilah."

She nods her head.

I feel the surprise coming in waves off of the Alpha and Luna as they take in the female beta.

It's not often that a female is allowed to become a high rank warrior.

Much less, the second power in command.

His eyes meet mine then, but he quickly looks away as he leans forward, directing his attention to Alpha Brandon.

"I think this is simple enough. I will take my mate back with me. And that is it."

Alpha Brandon leans forward also, "Though Lexie is your mate, I would also like to make you aware of the situation with her father."

Atlas nods.

"I am aware that he is ill. I'm also aware that he will recover."

Alpha Brandon glances at the Luna before nodding to Atlas, "Then you have my permission."

"Should we not ask Lexie what she wants?

It's the Beta who speaks.

Lilah.