Chapter 14: Overthinking

CHAPTER 14

“Can you please stop staring at me like I just turned into a cantaloupe?” I sigh exasperatedly.

However, it seems as if Renee has gone deaf because she continues to sit there and stare at me, wide-eyed, with her mouth hanging open. The cup she’s grasping in her hands is filled with steaming coffee and has been paused halfway in its journey to reach her mouth. That’s mainly my fault, because as soon as she raised her hand I finally forced out the words, “I made out with Harry last Friday night.”

Renee takes in a quick breath and I study her cautiously, waiting for some sort of reaction.

Finally, her face breaks into an Oscar-worthy grin. “I knew it!’ she crows, throwing an arm around my shoulder.

The little coffee shop we’re eating breakfast at is crowded enough that people don’t hear her loud comment and stare. My phone buzzes, providing a distraction and I quickly glance at the text. It’s from Liam, who I texted earlier to cancel on. Although I felt bad, talking with Renee was definitely more important at the moment. I make a mental note to text him back later and focus back on the brown skinned girl in front of me.

I roll my eyes; I should have guessed this would be her reaction. “You don’t understand,” I try to explain. “This is bad, really bad. You should be slapping me and calling me a whore, not congratulating me.”

Renee snorts and finally does take a sip of her coffee. “You’re not a whore, Leah.”

I stare miserably down and the bagel I ordered but haven’t taken a bite of. “Yes, yes I am. Making out with your boss? Who does that? Oh right- whores do that.”

“You’re being over dramatic,” Renee announces. “So what if you kissed Harry? It’s not like you asked him to marry you or anything.”

“That’s for sure,” I muttered, staring hard at the table. “He told me we needed to forget what happened.”

“Well, good for Harry. It’s alright to have a little fling for one night of your life. Kissing someone isn’t signing a contract, for God’s sakes. If you don’t want a relationship you don’t have to have one.”

I force a small smile onto my face. “I’m overreacting, aren’t I?”

Renee pats my hand. “Just a bit. Now hurry up and eat that bagel so we aren’t late.”

I take a small bite and she smiles encouragingly at me. “Good. Now it’s time to go face the music.”

And with that short sentence, I lose my appetite and discreetly throw my bagel away on the way out the door.

+++++++++

My plan is very simple: avoid Harry at all costs. I creep into my office like I’m in some sort of secret agent movie. But as soon as I sit down at my desk, I realize in my hurry to leave I left my coffee in the coffee shop. I know there’s no way I can make it through the morning without some coffee, so I reluctantly push myself out of my chair and make my way to the door.