Cheating The Deck {15}

The night air was cool on my skin as I biked home from work. Delaney had been texting me all day. He had tried to convince me to hang out with him after work, but I'd told him that I was busy around the house.

                Now that work was over, I was telling him that I was too tired to hang out. I wished that he would leave me alone, but I wasn't done with him quite yet, so I had to force some sort of patience around him.

                I leaned my bike against the wall of the garage before leaving. I walked up to the front porch, not glancing at Jer as I passed him.

                "Hey, Ace," he said.

                I let out a long sigh. "What?"

                "You were taking too long so we ate without you. Food's in the fridge," he said.

                "How exciting. I hope you didn't make it. I'd rather not puke tonight," I said, going inside before he could throw anything at me.

                I went to the kitchen and grabbed the food out of the fridge, heating it up and sitting down at the table with it. The house was quiet, meaning the others were probably locked away in their bedrooms.

                Once I had eaten, I went upstairs and showered, throwing on clothes and towel drying my hair. I left the house, my cell phone and wallet tucked securely into my pocket.

                "Where are you going?" Jer demanded as I passed by him.

                "I'm going out, mom," I said.

                "Ace you better not-"

                "Spend money, I better not spend any fucking money, I've got it!" I snapped.

                Jer crossed his arms, shaking his head. "You are really coming apart. Should've run away when mommy did."

                I stepped towards him, clenching my fists. Jer tensed up a little, ready for a fight if I swung at him.

                "When we first met you, I knew you'd lose it someday. You were way too playful for someone who had dragged himself from Hell at 16. Now the façade is crumbling and you can't do a damn thing about it." Jer gave me a bitter smile. "Guys like me, we never last long. But guys like you? You have a short fuse, and you're almost burned out, Ace."

                I spun away from him, jumping over the railing of the porch and hitting the grass below. I walked fast, wanting to get the hell away from that house. Jer would probably end up being a worthless druggie like his parents. He had no right to talk to me like that.

                The apartment came into my sight a few minutes later, a familiar view by now. I sat down on the hood of Jack's car and texted him to come outside.

                After a minute, Jack opened the front door. He spotted me and pointed at me lazily.

                "You, off of Helen. Now," he said.

                "Helen?" I said.

                "My car. Her name's Helen," Jack said, holding up the keys. "Now if you want a ride, you have to get off her hood."

                I jumped down and got in the passenger's seat. Jack started driving towards the plaza, some generic pop song playing out of the radio at a low volume.