chapter three

Alexia practically dragged me through the streets of New Orleans. It took us about an hour to get there since we were walking, and Davina's apartment happened to be on the other side of the city.

Still, I didn't mind. It gave Alexia enough time to tell me about the Mikaelson's. She told me to keep close to Elijah in case a fight broke out, or if one of the siblings suspected I was lying about who I truly was. Apparently, Elijah would give me enough time to explain myself before acting out. He was the only one without a temper. Klaus was the most dangerous one, and also her husband. He would most definitely kill me on the spot.

She walked in through the gates of the manor, yelling for the siblings to get down there immediately. One by one, they descended from the stairs. Not noticing me at first, the one with honey blond hair walked over to Alexia and kissed her. I guessed that was Klaus. I moved away from
them discreetly, but his sharp eyes landed on me the second I lifted my foot off the ground.

"What is the meaning of this?" He spoke through gritted teeth, staring at me with hard eyes. His jaw was clenched and his hands were fists, knuckles turning white. I cast a look down to see blood dripping from his hands.

Alexia placed her hands on Klaus' shoulders. She murmured into his ear, and slowly his body relaxed. His intimidating eyes softened and I saw a vulnerability in them I would have never thought he'd feel. Of course, I was thinking about the sorties of his brutality that Alexia told me on the way here.

Another man appeared, and I assumed that was Elijah, a woman behind him. Her skin was darker than the rest, telling me that this was Rebekah, currently in the body of a witch.

They all stared at me, an awkward silence filling the room. The tension was unbearable, and I waited patiently for someone to speak.

"Well she's back," Alexia said, breaking the silence.

"How?" Rebekah asked, eyes momentarily closed. She opened her eyes again and stared at me.

"We don't know. She doesn't remember anything," Alexia stated, standing in front of me protectively.

"I can speak for myself," I mumbled to Alexia. Several sharp breaths were taken at the sound of my voice.

Alexia looked at me over her shoulder. "Then speak."

"Well. I'm alive," I lamely said. Rebekah immediately rushed to me, ignoring Alexia's protests and pulling me in for a hug.

"I've missed you so much, Rose. You have no idea what kind of hell it has been without you," the girl practically sobbed. I looked over Rebekah's shoulder, at Alexia and mouthed 'help'.

She quirked her eyebrow, as if saying, 'oh, so now you can't speak for yourself?'

I tried to communicate the fact that I would strangle her the second I got my hands on her through my eyes. Clearly getting the message, Alexia rolled her eyes and put a hand on Rebekah's shoulder, peeling her from me.

"When I say she doesn't remember anything, I mean she doesn't remember anything." Alexa's face had hardened.

"How?" Klaus growled. "What is this? Some kind of trick?" He raised his voice, practically yelling. In a blur, my back was on the brick wall and his hand was wrapped around my neck. He squeezed, cutting my airway. I gasped and started kicking with my feet.

"Niklaus!" Elijah bellowed. "She is human again! And if she had her memories, you know she wouldn't be this defenseless. Put her down."

"No. This is another one of mothers tricks. I am sure of it. Tell me, who are you, really? How did she get our friend's rotten body back to normal?" He tilted his head to the side, smirking. The look on his face felt... familiar. My vision blurred, and I wasn't in that room anymore. I was somewhere else, somewhere dark. My body ached, and the coppery smell of blood attacked my nose. I could hear shouting in the distance.

At the back of my mind, I recognized the voices. My heart warmed as I heard a male scream my name. A sudden light blinded me and I had to shield my eyes with my hand- But I couldn't. I pulled at my arms but I couldn't move them. I instantly panicked and tried to open my mouth to scream. But I couldn't.

It felt like something was pushing against my chest as I tried to move my limbs, talk, scream, blink. I was breathing  calmly, but I shouldn't have been. I wanted to shout, I wanted to get up and leave, escape. Wherever I was, it seemed like hell and I didn't not want to be there any longer.

Mustering up all of my strength, I pushed against the pressure on my chest. It hurt so much, God it hurt. My body was on fire, and the more I fought, the hotter the fire burned.

Waves of exhaustion hit me as a dark figure came closer to me.

"Rose?"

His voice was sweet and hard at the same time. It was filled with anger and hurt. I didn't know what to make of it.

"Stay awake. I'm here now. Fight the darkness," he whispered. I felt his hands on my arms, the around my body. I was being carried away. I finally felt safe again.

Then it was gone. I was back at the Mikaelson's. My body was on the floor, and I saw vomit right next to my head.

Panicked voices were yelling, screaming. They didn't know what to do, how to help. My head still felt like it was going to explode. But for her, for Alexia who had been nothing but honest to me, I fought to sit up. Black dots appeared in my vision, but I ignored them.

"What happened?" My throat felt sore as I spoke, as if I had been screaming for hours. I rubbed the back of my head as I slowly sat up. I then tried to stand on my feet, but my body hurt too much.

Her arms immediately went around me, assisting me in not falling over. "You started screaming, begging for it to let you go," Alexia answered. "What happened to you?" She asked, concern filling her face.

"I was somewhere dark," I whispered. "I remember pain and feeling hopelessness. I couldn't move my body. It was like someone else was in control. There was shouting. Someone was angry and at the end, I think that same person came and carried me out of there." I frowned as I looked at the faces of each Mikaelson. My eyes stayed on Klaus, who looked like he was going to break something. Most likely, it was me who he wanted to break.

"Can you stand?" Alexia questioned. With a nod, I slowly got to my feet. It didn't take long before my legs bucked under me. My head felt like it was going to explode. I whimpered as I held onto my head with both hands, clutching like my life depended it in.

The last thing I remembered before I fell to the floor was the face of the man that has carried me out of the dark.