10] staying up

hope world- jhope

~Hoseok's POV~

He didn't pull away from you until he heard fireworks popping in the distance, loud enough that their sound couldn't be drowned out by the midnight tidal waves. He was still holding you close, but he moved away from your lips, allowing you both to look up at the colors exploding in the sky at a distance.

"They're prettier than I remember," you said quietly, your hands wrapped snugly around his middle.

"The fireworks?" A soft breeze blew through, sending small shivers up your arms. He held you a little closer, concerned that you might be cold.

"It's been years since I've seen any. They're prettier than I remember them being." Yet despite the clear admiration in your voice, you stopped looking at the sky and tucked your face back down into Hoseok's neck.

"Are you cold?" All he wanted was for you to be comfortable.

"Yeah, but you're warm. Like always," your words came out soft and quiet. So much so that Hoseok strained to hear them all. He was having trouble comprehending much anyway. He was too wrapped up in pleasant shock that you were this close to him, and that you wanted to be this close to him. The confession of his feelings tonight hadn't exactly been planned, but that hadn't stopped him from constantly wondering over the past few weeks what your reaction to the confession might be.

It was better than he could've ever hoped for.

He stood there like that with you for quite a while longer, until the fireworks completely ceased.

"Should we go back to the others now?" you shifted away from him, seeming reluctant about doing so.

"Probably...I don't really want to, though."

"Me either."

"How come you don't want to?" he gently threaded his fingers through the ends of your hair. It was soft.

"I don't know...I'm not ready to let this moment pass yet, I guess," you easily shifted back against him. Your arms tightened around his waist and your face pressed against his chest. "What are we gonna tell the others?"

"The truth."

"And what exactly is the truth?"

He pulled away, wanting to see your face. "The truth is that I care about you, I want you around, and I want you to be mine. That's the truth."

"You're making me blush," you laughed, "But that's my truth, too."

"Nothing to hide from the others, then."

You stood briefly on your tip-toes, pressing a quick kiss to his mouth before retreating, settling for holding his hand. "Let's go."

☼☼☼