Chapter Three

Da Fan sat before a copper mirror, watching as Meirin delicately brushed her hair into a bun, decorating it with gold and jade jewelry. Meirin continued with her ministrations as she applied light make up to Da Fan's face.

"Mistress, which gown do you plan on wearing to the Cheng's Household?"

Da Fan pointed to the soft, red gown with gold flowers embroidered on it. Da Fan was nervous; it had been three days since her wedding. And according to tradition, it was the day that the husband and wife had to pay their respects to the wife's parents.

Feng Huang hadn't visited her courtyard since the wedding night. As per the little snippets of information she had gotten from the Old Madam, Feng Huang was busy in the Ministry of Defense.

Da Fan sighed; with or without her husband, she would pay her respects to her parents. Da Fan followed Meirin out of her courtyard and towards the carriage waiting in front of the mansion gates.

As she got closer, she noticed a male servant next to the carriage. "Who is that?" she whispered to Meirin, but she didn't know who it was either.

"I don't know, mistress."

"Greetings to Second Madam. Master Feng is awaiting Madam in the carriage," the servant said, bowing.

If she was surprised, Da Fan didn't show it, only allowing Meirin to help her into the carriage.

Da Fan sat in the carriage and stared hard at the man across from her. Da Fan didn't get to have a good look at her husband during her wedding.

"Da Fan greets Husband."

Feng Huang was a beautiful, dazzling man with blood-thirst hidden under that demonic charm of his. His beautiful features, containing a mix of elegance and maturity, made him a striking man. His black hair was made into a single braid and tied with a silk cloth that matched the grey-blue colour of his eyes.

Feng Huang, too, was studying his new wife. Tender, snow, white skin; phoenix eyes that were like the starry sky, bright and shining; red lips curved into a gentle smile, like a budding flower just ready for plucking.

Feng Huang nodded to her, and silence permeated the carriage. Da Fan looked at his cold expression and wondered, 'What's with this iceberg of a husband?'

And as the carriage began to move, the silence continued for the nearly hour-long journey to the Cheng House.

"Second wife is missing her home?"

Da Fan was startled at the voice. Feng Huang didn't want to speak, but seeing her calm lack of interest, his wife was beginning to seem more riveting.

"Husband is teasing this wife. What bride doesn't miss her home?"

Feng Huang was amazed that she didn't react to the mockery in his voice. "As long as Wife knows where her true home is."

Feng Huang stood up as soon as the carriage stopped. Before his steward could announce their arrival, he opened the carriage and held his hand out to Da Fan.

"Come, Wife."

Da Fan ignored his tone and placed her hand in his, startled by the coarseness of his palm. Only a man well versed in the art of the sword would have such palms. This thought puzzled Da Fan as Feng Huang was known to be more of a scholar than a warrior. Da Fan put it off as him working in the Ministry of Defense.

Da Fan placed her hand in his, stepping down from the carriage. The entire main branch of the Cheng's Household was there to greet Feng Huang and Da Fan at the entrance.

Da Fan looked at the people gathered at the entrance. Her father, Cheng Chu Lan; her mother, Rong Liang; her five brothers and sister.

Dan Fan smiled shyly, looking like the ever-blushing bride, making Feng Huang do a double take.

Cheng Chu Lan greeted Feng Huang and Da Fan, leading the newlyweds to the inner hall. The men and women of the group separated in different directions to talk separately.

Da Fan simply stood in the middle of all the older ladies and her brothers' wives and concubines, answering their questions from time to time.

Luckily, her mother, Rong Liang, noticing the increasing number of personal questions, walked into the group of gaggling ladies and helped Da Fan out.

"Da Fan, walk with Mother a bit."

Rong Liang held Da Fan's hand, giving the women a pointed look which seemed to straighten them out.

"How are you doing, Fan Fan?" her mother asked as the two walked in her courtyard.

"I'm doing just fine, Mama," Da Fan replied, noticing the worried tone of her mother.

"Are you sure?"

Seeing the genuinely worried expression of her mother's face, Da Fan grew silent. "Husband is not treating me bad, Mama."

"I'm not worried bout your husband, Fan Fan. He seems to be a pleasant man. What I'm worried about is the first wife of your Husband."

Da Fan became confused and a bit perplexed by her mother's statement.

"My mother was the Third Wife of my Father," Rong Liang said to Da Fan. "Though she wasn't a concubine or lover, she was still at the bottom of the ladder. In the Empire, men are allowed to have up to three wives and four concubines to ensure the continuity of the bloodline." Rong Lian paused to see if Da Fan was following her.

"My father had three wives and four concubines, and they competed fiercely for the affections of my father. My mother did her best to ensure that my brother and I weren't caught in the crossfire. When your uncle joined the military, honestly, it was the first time my mother shed tears of joy. She would rather her son die by the hands of others than those women. My mother fought when she had to and laid low when she knew she had to. I was glad when I became the first wife of your father, and I wanted the same for you."

Rong Liang was sad for the future of her daughter. "Remember what I taught you, Da Fan. Always have a dedicated and loyal person behind you at all times. Meirin and Kuchen will never betray you, but they aren't enough. Your father is a smart man, and though he may seem like a minor official, he still has enough power to protect you. You do know the reason why you're a wife and not a concubine, right?"

Da Fan nodded at her mother. Her father was the head of the Intelligence Bureau for the king; this alone was enough for her to be a wife. Though few knew of this, Da Fan reckoned that Feng Huang knew.

Rong Liang patted the face of her daughter affectionately. "I taught you well. Let's go, your brothers' cackling wives must be wondering where we are."

Da fan held her mother's hand as they headed back into the inner hall. Da Fan and Feng Huang left the Cheng's House shortly after lunch. As they were leaving, Cheng Chu Lan said to his daughter, "Send word if you need another person."

Da Fan nodded. Her father may be a man of few words, but he cared immensely about his family.

In the carriage going home, Da Fan had not time to notice the curious looks sent her way by her husband. Da Fan's mind was preoccupied with the words of her mother.

The carriage stopped unexpectedly, throwing Da Fan into Feng Huang's lap. Feng Huang watched as Da Fan blushed sweetly in his lap, and his hands unconsciously tightened around her waist, where he held her.

"What's the matter?" Feng Huang asked, noticing that Da Fan turned even more red when the warmth of his breath brushed her ear.

"Master, there is a carriage blocking the entrance to the mansion."