Neville x Female!Reader

Requested by: sophdawe44

No one is safe from Neville Longbottom's quest to impress (Y/N) at every turn. Especially (Y/N).

Harry wakes up one morning to see the common room is as it normally is, and some part of him hopes that the rest of the day will be just as normal as it began. He walks down the steps with his robe hanging off his shoulder and a quill tucked somewhere in his pocket in a hurry. That's normal. He passes by (Y/N) in the hallway and she waves cheerily. They stop and talk for a moment but Harry knows he's already late. That's normal. She's doesn't look as suspicious as he feels, but in Hogwarts there's always something lurking around the corner to come at Harry. He's always a little paranoid. That's normal. She sends him a reassuring smile and a pat on the shoulder as she passes by him. He feels slightly better at the sight of her smile, but she's always smiling. That's normal.

Harry skips breakfast but he takes a small detour to pass by the Great Hall. He peeks in the doorway, hoping to see confetti or flowers or love notes raining down from the sky, anything abnormal. If waking up late made him miss the fiasco of the day, he doesn't mind. But when he looks in, the hall has a few lingering students collecting food off of the infinite plates in the center. That's normal.

He walks to his class, slightly dissapointed. As cute as it is to see that fulfilled smile on Neville's face when he impresses (Y/N), a little normality never hurt anyone. 

Potions class is normal. Slughorn has a skip to his step and he smiles broadly when he sees Harry. That's normal. Slughorn winks to Harry slightly when he steps out from behind his desk, visibly holding back giggles. That's not normal.

Harry starts to sweat. He crosses his fingers and holds his breath, unable to take his eyes off the empty seat on the other side of the classroom. Even (Y/N) is starting to look concerned with the lack of Neville in the seat next to her. That's not normal. 

Professor Slughorn clears his throat, and Harry takes this as his chance. "Excuse me, Professor?"

He does not look happy to be interrupted in his delight but he nods to Harry anyway. "May I use the restroom?"

Slughorn groans as though Harry has just drained away all his happiness. "Must you go right now Harry?"

"Yes sir, it's an emergency," Slughorn isn't having it so Harry throws in a, "Please."

Harry has never left a classroom so swiftly. He sits by the window, his side pressed against the cold glass as he looks out into the grassy courtyard. It looks so peaceful he wishes he was there. He hears the sounds of curious students leering and there are footsteps behind him. He looks reluctantly, and spots (Y/N). Running in the hallways. That is definetly not normal.

He almost asks where she's going until he sees Neville is trailing behind her. His cheeks red and a smile on his face. 

"What's going on?" Neville usually has the smirk and (Y/N) is blushing like mad, not the other way around.

(Y/N) smirks and puts her hands on her hips. "Payback."

Harry is visibly confused and he turns to Neville, who seems beyond himself unable to form words.

"He's been pestering the whole school with these crazy plots, I just turned the tables." She smirks. "And he almost didn't even show up!"

"I'm sorry," He ducks his head.

"For the shenanigans or being late?"

"Both," He says sincerly.

"Aw silly I love your shenanigans."

Neville blushes and smiles broadly. Harry suddenly feels like he's intruding. They're so lost in each others eyes they don't even notice him.

"I love you," She says. No matter how often she says it, Neville can't get over the smile involuntary stretching across his face as he whispers the words back.